iOS 5 twitter instead of Facebook?

youngsunnz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
I don't get it, I know maybe Facebook may be a competition for Apple but why integrate twitter into iOS 5 and not Facebook or other social media? Theres way more people who take pictures and want to put them on than twitter or do other stuff on Facebook more...did they pick twitter because its a less of a competition and a a lot smaller company so they can have the upper hand? whats your thoughts?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I don't get it, I know maybe Facebook may be a competition for Apple but why integrate twitter into iOS 5 and not Facebook or other social media? Theres way more people who take pictures and want to put them on than twitter or do other stuff on Facebook more...did they pick twitter because its a less of a competition and a a lot smaller company so they can have the upper hand? whats your thoughts?
it would be better if we could have options.
It looks like it's cos facebook said no, like they did to Ping. It looks like there may be coding in iOS 5 for Facebook, in contacts, Twitter has it's own entry, so does Facebook, that's enough indication for me, along with Ping that Facebook is to blame for this.

youngsunnz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
I took some pictures today and thought maybe if i went into the picture album into my iPhone i could have the option to upload it straight to Facebook. I think it'll be a lot easier and Facebook is probably the most used social media than myspace or twitter.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Politics. Plain and simple.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I took some pictures today and thought maybe if i went into the picture album into my iPhone i could have the option to upload it straight to Facebook. I think it'll be a lot easier and Facebook is probably the most used social media than myspace or twitter.
Like I said, Facebook has to allow Apple to do it. It sucks as I rarely, if ever, use Twitter. The UI stuff apple has made for iOS's native Twitter uploading looks great.

Hopefully Facebook will give in and agrees. You just have to look at the state of their iPhone app and lack of iPad app to see that Facebook doesn't care about iOS.

ericg301

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Microsoft is a major investor in Facebook too (hence the Bing partnership).

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
From what I've experienced with both of the social networks being discussed, Twitter seems to be more about "right now" and Facebook is more about "already happened". Facebook is more full featured, and therefore it makes more sense to upload entire albums to Facebook afterward. Using Twitter to post a pic you took "right then" makes a little more sense (not that it doesn't work with Facebook, I just don't think the emphasis is there). Just look at the way each site's feed works for a further demonstration of that.

I'm sure Facebook would be a nice option as well, but I think I'd use Twitter more for those kinds of sharing anyway.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2010
From what I've experienced with both of the social networks being discussed, Twitter seems to be more about "right now" and Facebook is more about "already happened". Facebook is more full featured, and therefore it makes more sense to upload entire albums to Facebook afterward. Using Twitter to post a pic you took "right then" makes a little more sense (not that it doesn't work with Facebook, I just don't think the emphasis is there). Just look at the way each site's feed works for a further demonstration of that.

I'm sure Facebook would be a nice option as well, but I think I'd use Twitter more for those kinds of sharing anyway.
My thoughts exactly. Twitter is more for those quick, "happening right now" moments (tweets) whereas Facebook is a little deeper than that (statuses)

Goldfrapp

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2005
If I were Apple, I'd forget about Facebook and Twitter altogether and work on integrating Google+ instead.

Google+ is not even public yet, and its usage stats are already exploding.

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
If I were Apple, I'd forget about Facebook and Twitter altogether and work on integrating Google+ instead.

Google+ is not even public yet, and its usage stats are already exploding.
Umm, integrating Google+? As in Google, ANDROID's Google? See the issue?

I'm thinking its because Twitter's just better than Facebook. Not all just emo little kids complaining their girlfriends are bitches.

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
So? We've had Google Maps, Safari Google Search since day 1.
Minor crap like that (Google maps for us isn't like it is on an Android btw) is nbd. A major socialization initiative like Google+, Googles pride and joy, isn't going to just be integrated into an iPhone.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
So? We've had Google Maps, Safari Google Search since day 1.
True, although we haven't had a significant update to Maps' feature set in forever, and I imagine that Google may be more hesitant to work with Apple on this venture, as Google+ integration in Android may act as a selling point to some users at this point (or in the near future).

boss.king

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Umm, integrating Google+? As in Google, ANDROID's Google? See the issue?

I'm thinking its because Twitter's just better than Facebook. Not all just emo little kids complaining their girlfriends are bitches.
That's your opinion dude. I really dislike twitter and find most twitter posts to be mindless, but again, that's just my opinion.

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
Didn't Apple buy a map making company about a year ago? I thought that was their plan to exile Google maps from all iOS devices. Apple already offers competing search engines Bing & Yahoo. Since Bing is a Microsoft initiative, I'd love to see Apple get behind Yahoo. I've used Yahoo mail long before I got a Google mail account.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Twitter is much more fast paced than Facebook (as said by DirtySocks). It all depends on who you follow, think about being near a fire and sending your pics to your local news station who is on Twitter. Pretty nice right?

Google+ and Facebook are competitors, Twitter has it's own league. They're two different types of social media, and Twitter is much more appealing.
Unless you're following a bunch of tweens who tweet about how "they just woke up with a hangover".

It all depends on who you follow.

I follow lots of people, no celebs. One of the people i follow is a big developer, and because of Twitter i was able to beta test a very popular app, how cool is that?

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Maybe because the Facebook app is totally unreliable. I know that probably doesn't have much to do with it. But that app sucks so it's worth mentioning.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Twitter is much more fast paced than Facebook (as said by DirtySocks). It all depends on who you follow, think about being near a fire and sending your pics to your local news station who is on Twitter. Pretty nice right?

Google+ and Facebook are competitors, Twitter has it's own league. They're two different types of social media, and Twitter is much more appealing.
Unless you're following a bunch of tweens who tweet about how "they just woke up with a hangover".

It all depends on who you follow.

I follow lots of people, no celebs. One of the people i follow is a big developer, and because of Twitter i was able to beta test a very popular app, how cool is that?
I never put G+ against Facebook. G+ is more Twitter than Facebook.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2010
Seriously. Does anyone here follow Charlie Sheen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.