iOS 5 twitter instead of Facebook?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youngsunnz, Jul 24, 2011.

1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

I don't get it, I know maybe Facebook may be a competition for Apple but why integrate twitter into iOS 5 and not Facebook or other social media? Theres way more people who take pictures and want to put them on than twitter or do other stuff on Facebook more...did they pick twitter because its a less of a competition and a a lot smaller company so they can have the upper hand? whats your thoughts?

2. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

3. shandyman Suspended

It looks like it's cos facebook said no, like they did to Ping. It looks like there may be coding in iOS 5 for Facebook, in contacts, Twitter has it's own entry, so does Facebook, that's enough indication for me, along with Ping that Facebook is to blame for this.

4. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

I took some pictures today and thought maybe if i went into the picture album into my iPhone i could have the option to upload it straight to Facebook. I think it'll be a lot easier and Facebook is probably the most used social media than myspace or twitter.

5. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Politics. Plain and simple.

6. shandyman Suspended

Like I said, Facebook has to allow Apple to do it. It sucks as I rarely, if ever, use Twitter. The UI stuff apple has made for iOS's native Twitter uploading looks great.

Hopefully Facebook will give in and agrees. You just have to look at the state of their iPhone app and lack of iPad app to see that Facebook doesn't care about iOS.

7. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

8. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Microsoft is a major investor in Facebook too (hence the Bing partnership).

9. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

From what I've experienced with both of the social networks being discussed, Twitter seems to be more about "right now" and Facebook is more about "already happened". Facebook is more full featured, and therefore it makes more sense to upload entire albums to Facebook afterward. Using Twitter to post a pic you took "right then" makes a little more sense (not that it doesn't work with Facebook, I just don't think the emphasis is there). Just look at the way each site's feed works for a further demonstration of that.

I'm sure Facebook would be a nice option as well, but I think I'd use Twitter more for those kinds of sharing anyway.

10. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

My thoughts exactly. Twitter is more for those quick, "happening right now" moments (tweets) whereas Facebook is a little deeper than that (statuses)

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

If I were Apple, I'd forget about Facebook and Twitter altogether and work on integrating Google+ instead.

Google+ is not even public yet, and its usage stats are already exploding.

12. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

Umm, integrating Google+? As in Google, ANDROID's Google? See the issue?

I'm thinking its because Twitter's just better than Facebook. Not all just emo little kids complaining their girlfriends are bitches.

13. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

So? We've had Google Maps, Safari Google Search since day 1.

14. jnl1211 macrumors 6502

jnl1211

Minor crap like that (Google maps for us isn't like it is on an Android btw) is nbd. A major socialization initiative like Google+, Googles pride and joy, isn't going to just be integrated into an iPhone.

15. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

True, although we haven't had a significant update to Maps' feature set in forever, and I imagine that Google may be more hesitant to work with Apple on this venture, as Google+ integration in Android may act as a selling point to some users at this point (or in the near future).

16. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That's your opinion dude. I really dislike twitter and find most twitter posts to be mindless, but again, that's just my opinion.

17. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Didn't Apple buy a map making company about a year ago? I thought that was their plan to exile Google maps from all iOS devices. Apple already offers competing search engines Bing & Yahoo. Since Bing is a Microsoft initiative, I'd love to see Apple get behind Yahoo. I've used Yahoo mail long before I got a Google mail account.

18. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I didn't understand either because I can share my photos from iPhoto on mac to Facebook but can't share a website on my iPhone?

19. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Twitter is much more fast paced than Facebook (as said by DirtySocks). It all depends on who you follow, think about being near a fire and sending your pics to your local news station who is on Twitter. Pretty nice right?

Google+ and Facebook are competitors, Twitter has it's own league. They're two different types of social media, and Twitter is much more appealing.
    Unless you're following a bunch of tweens who tweet about how "they just woke up with a hangover".

It all depends on who you follow.

I follow lots of people, no celebs. One of the people i follow is a big developer, and because of Twitter i was able to beta test a very popular app, how cool is that?

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Maybe because the Facebook app is totally unreliable. I know that probably doesn't have much to do with it. But that app sucks so it's worth mentioning.

21. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I never put G+ against Facebook. G+ is more Twitter than Facebook.

22. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

correction, it's a mix.

Regardless, Twitter was the smarter choice.

23. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Seriously. Does anyone here follow Charlie Sheen?

24. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

He's not "winning" anymore. Duh!