iOS 5 update not possible duer disk full

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geohei, Oct 18, 2011.

1. geohei macrumors newbie

Hi.

iPhone 4 32 GB
    Windows XP SP3

I had this problem already several times, but I always increased the size of my C:\ partition. I don't consider this as solution any more. At the very best, it's a workaround.

When trying to update to iOS, I was told by iTunes that 1.78 GB were free and 5.67 were required. While looking at the Apple folders (also the hidden ones), I found a huge amount of data, where I really doubt that all this is still useful or required.

Where can I get information from which folders can be safely deleted in order to get my disc space back.

iTunes: I've never had such a **** piece of software on my computer which is able to fill my disc within months! My C:\ used to be 8 GB, then, due iTunes, I increased it to 10, later 15 GB. If it wouldn't be required, I would trash it instantaneously!

NB: I emptied already all temp folders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Do a search on how to clean out your old iTunes iphone backups. They can take up a bunch of space that isn't needed. On a Mac the path is ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup but I don't know what it is on a WinXP system.

3. juree, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

juree macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem. I did this...

- Googled "itunes backup folder"
    - went to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
    - copied the folders there to another drive (27gb!)
    - deleted what I copied from the c drive
    - backed up my iPhone
    - started again with the upgrade.

4. geohei thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies.

But ... I moved (not copied) the mentioned backup folder already to another partition and connected the location on C:\ as hard link (junction.exe command, NTFS - like the UNIX ln command).

Nevertheless, there's not enough space.

Any further ideas?

Thanks,

5. moel macrumors 6502

Not really sure what your doing, or why you've got an 8 gig HD, which is basically crippling whatever windows you are running anyway.

Two things however first spring to mind.

1) You realise that any music iTunes plays, it creates a copy of..so lets say you downloaded an album from the torrent underbelly of the internet...and then double click on all the tracks, iTunes then imports them into it's own music library, creating a duplicate of everything

2) theres pretty much no extraneous material of any value, other than previous ipsw's of previous OS's that take up any large amount of space. So if you can find files like iOS_4_1.ipsw, then you can safely delete them

but seriously, you need to look at how your managing your computer..why such a tiny Windows XP partition?

6. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Hmm..get out of the dark ages and stick in a 320GB drive, clone your XP partition to the new drive.

I've seen 1TB drives for less than £40 delivered, so there is NO excuse to get a bigger drive.

7. geohei thread starter macrumors newbie

C: is System.
    D: is Programs
    E: is Data

@moel

8 GB worked fine for several years before iTunes was installed!

All downloads are in E:

@HellDiverUK

The space is cheap.
    That's not the point.

If software like iTunes is accepted, even 500 GBs is full one day.

The point is that NO path EXCEPT the Library path can be changed in iTunes.

It can't be that one piece of software makes you change your hardware just because badly designed by Apple!

8. moel macrumors 6502

It hasn't been 'badly designed'

You've just set your pc up in the worlds most horrendous way imaginable.

I have an extreme hate of people who partition their hard drives like you. Fine it keeps things separate, but I can't tell you the number of times that you run up against this wall in a windows environment with software OTHER THAN iTunes

It's also doing absolutely nothing to help with either speed or data security. I suggest wiping your machine from the start, and just having ONE PARTITION

that way you don't have this issue and nothing slows down.

But as said, delete your old backups and thats about it.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Agree 100%. No need to partition a disk like the OP. One large disk does great. I gfot tow 260gb SSD drives on my device and they each are partitioned as one large disk!.

10. geohei thread starter macrumors newbie

Disqualifying remark!
    Stay on the ground man!

I have reasons for partitioning.

If every software installed would waste HDD space like iTunes does, HDDs capacities couldn't cope with. Every well designed software allows the user to decide where to store data.

Back to OP!

What about these folders?
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer

Anything in there which can be safely deleted?

Thanks,