Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Hi- I'm planning to upgrade my 3GS to iOS5 today but don't want to risk losing any data. From apps to emails to 2 years worth of text messages (keeping for both professional and sentimental reasons), I'll leave it as it is if it means losing all that info.

If/when people start making updates I'd love to hear how it went and if you notice any loss of data, if all your settings needed to be reconfigured, etc...

Thanks!

lewys

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
London
Hi- I'm planning to upgrade my 3GS to iOS5 today but don't want to risk losing any data. From apps to emails to 2 years worth of text messages (keeping for both professional and sentimental reasons), I'll leave it as it is if it means losing all that info.

If/when people start making updates I'd love to hear how it went and if you notice any loss of data, if all your settings needed to be reconfigured, etc...

Thanks!

Hi, when i updated to IOS 5 GM i kept all of my texts and contacts etc.
If the GM is the same as the final release (which people are saying it will be) then hopefully they should stay too

Codepiink

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Westchester County, NY
If you do a simple backup to your computer through iTunes it saves that kind of info. You can always resort back to it even if there is a problem when you upgrade to a new iOS. I've done it many times.

SomeonePlzHelp

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
California

Thanks!

Then just do a manual backup on iTunes real quick. That way it saves all your texts and photos and important/sentimental information.
That's what I always do, since I am the same way with my texts.
Never had a problem updating over the air from iOS 5 beta 3, 4, 5, or 7

EDIT: Although I did have a problem from beta 4 to beta 5 and up where they changed how many texts your phone could hold.
For some time I was unable to receive texts because I had too many and it wouldn't delete the oldest ones in the threads on it's own.
So I had to go in and delete a huge message thread from an ex-gf and then all the texts I was missing came flooding in.
So I don't know if they have fixed that problem yet, but apparently I was the first to run into it on here, since at the time no one knew of that problem existing.

NorfolkMustard

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
UK
I think this chap is asking for when iOS 5.01 is released OTA.

the iOS5 released today won't be OTA, it puts in place the technology for future updates to be OTA.

Codepiink

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Westchester County, NY

Thanks!

He's talking about not wanting to lose info today. That's the impression I got from his question.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
as long as you have a good backup in itunes after it is done installing just restore latest backup. as far as OTA you won't be able to that till after you have ios5.

bwphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2006
Thanks guys. Sounds like I should be safe. And I apologize for the confusion re: OTA updates. I didn't know if they'd let us move to iOS5 OTA or if 5.1 would be. When I wire up for the software update it'll sync all my data first and we'll go from there.

Thanks again.

JamesHP

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2010
Manchester, UK
On the subject of OTA updates, I'm running the GM which is the same build number as the general release. When I go to Settings > General > Software Update, I get hit with 'An error occurred while checking for a software update'. Do people on the general release get that, or is that a GM thing? (Of course, I realise that there won't be an update, I'd just expect it to say something like 'your iPhone is up to date'.

michaelfields

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
On the subject of OTA updates, I'm running the GM which is the same build number as the general release. When I go to Settings > General > Software Update, I get hit with 'An error occurred while checking for a software update'. Do people on the general release get that, or is that a GM thing? (Of course, I realise that there won't be an update, I'd just expect it to say something like 'your iPhone is up to date'.

Mine says the same thing as well, I'm also on GM. I'm wondering the same thing because if it doesn't do that outside of the GM I don't wanna not be able to update OTA when any updates come out after 5.0

JamesHP

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2010
Manchester, UK
Mine says the same thing as well, I'm also on GM. I'm wondering the same thing because if it doesn't do that outside of the GM I don't wanna not be able to update OTA when any updates come out after 5.0

I restored to the general release version, I now get a 'Your software is up to date' message. So I'd recommend restoring.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I restored to the general release version, I now get a 'Your software is up to date' message. So I'd recommend restoring.

i'm still running GM and i now get the "your software is up to date" message.

GM and general release are the exact same version, it's been proven on this forum umpteen times tonight. you're wasting time if you're doing that.

the message on software update was just cos the update server was not active, same as in the early betas before OTA was enabled.

JamesHP

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2010
Manchester, UK
i'm still running GM and i now get the "your software is up to date" message.

GM and general release are the exact same version, it's been proven on this forum umpteen times tonight. you're wasting time if you're doing that.

the message on software update was just cos the update server was not active, same as in the early betas before OTA was enabled.

Strange, because I tried it immediately before restoring and it was still giving me the error. Oh well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.