iOS 5 Widgets

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by english06, Jun 10, 2011.

1. english06 macrumors member

So I am curious about this. Are developers able to write Apps that include the option to enable Widgets in the notification bar or just widgets themselves or even at all? I feel like that would open a lot of doors full of possibilities including settings toggles, flashlight shortcuts, etc.

2. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

Yes

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm pretty sure that currently the answer is no,

4. Neocron macrumors member

5. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

it's technically possible, but this just SCREAMS 'undocumented API' which would prevent AppStore approval.

i do believe that Apple is afraid of people cluttering / uglying up their phones.

your apps can be the most fugly designed pieces of software, but your springboard will always show Apple polish.

6. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that since Apple put widgets in the notification center and even called them widgets, they plan on doing something further with them. I would love to see a Facebook widget or even a widget for like Engadget or even MacRumor. Knowing them though, it won't go further then widgets they make themselves. :(

7. Fliesen, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i wouldn't mind them removing the weather and stocks app from the home screen and only make them accessible via the widget, really.

Besides, what would you need an Engadget or MacRumors widget for?
    wouldn't an App that pushes RSS feeds from Engadget / MacRumors to your phone do perfectly fine?
    that'll show the latest news on your lockscreen.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

They might make 3rd party widgets part of a future update, or perhaps include them in one of the coming beta releases. I probably wouldn't use them often but I know a lot of people would.