IOS 5 widgets

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JetBlack7, Aug 9, 2011.

1. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Can anyone tell me if the widgets on the IOS 5 can be changed to others and just not stock market and weather?

2. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

3. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Hopefully Apple will let people choose their own widgets, for example BBC news widgets.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Wouldn't a BBC news widget be similar to BBC notifications on the lock screen or notification center? Why a special widget?

5. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I think we may eventually see a "widget store" or options like that in the app store

6. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Because they don't need to 'push' updates for a widget, it could be a running scroll of news stories, like on the bottom of cable news networks.

7. Malcster macrumors 6502

Yeah, i'm really hoping that either there are a bunch more of these in the final release of iOS 5 or ideally, that you can get more from the app store.

Would really like to see 3G, Wifi, Bluetooth on/off shortcuts here, like SBsettings, but without need for jailbreak.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im sure there will be tons of fun tweaks for iOS 5 for jailbreakers, apple will give you the basic version

9. nozebleed macrumors 6502

they are already here

10. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

So, it would either require a dedicated connection to receive new news or display old news? That sounds like the kind of tradeoff that Apple has specifically avoided in the past.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It could still be Apple-style central server push-based.

In any case, some of us like making our own tradeoff decisions:

The ability to decide how we want our battery to be used, is why manufacturers have a manual backlight option, for example, and controls to turn on/off WiFi and Bluetooth etc. Even Apple does that, and those are far bigger battery eaters.

12. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Of, course. That gets back to my original point. Not much difference between a BBC news widget, and simply displaying BBC news notifications in the notification center/lock screen. Same info, different display style.

I was responding to a post that stated that the theoretical widgets don't need to use push notifications, so I listed the disadvantages of the other options.

(I'm not sure what you mean by "Apple-style" central server. That should just be Apple's central push notification server. If you give each widget it's own push server, you lose the basic advantage of the current system - only one connection needs to be monitored for push notifications.)

I'm one of them. Doesn't mean that I'm in denial about the likelihood of Apple providing those options anytime soon.

13. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

What I meant to say was that in the notification center and lock screen you have your stock widgets (weather and stocks by yahoo), and want I wanted was a kind of "widget store" or something like that so that I could change them when I wanted. Do you get my idea?

14. Andy2295 macrumors newbie

dont you think that the notification center would get very cluttered if it was filled with third party widgets and defeat the purpose of a notification center? I think apple needs to develop a different place for widgets.

15. JetBlack7 thread starter macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

I just wished I could get widgets from Apple regarding whatever I wanted to put on my phone, no more no less.

16. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I'd like to see something similar to Dashboard be integrated into Notification Center. Optimized for smaller screens, of course.