iOS 5 WiFi Sync with WiFi OFF

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VSMacOne, Sep 22, 2011.

1. VSMacOne, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

The weirdest thing happened today... My iPhone running iOS5 showed up in iTunes thru WiFi. Only problem is, my MBP has WiFi turned off!
    The only thing is.. MBP has ethernet cable plugged in from switch, and another ethernet cable to Airport Express. Is the MBP picking up the signal from AE thru the Ethernet cable?
    Is this old news and I'm just late figuring it out? What do you guys think?

2. DeaconGTG macrumors member

If your iPhone and your MBP were connected to the same network (reardless of whether the MBP was connected via wifi or ethernet) then this was completely normal.

WiFi Sync refers to the iPhone syncing over wifi, not the connection the mac has to the network.

3. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

My pc does not have wireless but is connected to a wireless network. This would be more common than people using Macs or Pc's with built in wireless so it makes sence that it would work

4. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

So you have an ethernet cord plugged into a WiFi router?

----------

Yeah, they're both plugged into the same switch, so that makes sense. I was just surprised to see that, and had no idea what was going on at first lol ..

5. Saberon macrumors 6502a

They have to be on the same network, whether they are wired or wireless to that network is not important.

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

OP

Did you purposely black-out your name but leave your phone number and serial number for us to see?

7. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually I have an Ethernet port plugged into a gigabit router along with connections in 3 bedrooms. That router is then connected to another gigabit router in the hall cupboard where it connects with the shed, kitchen, media pc and also the wireless access point for inside.

The shed has it's own wireless access point and network hub to give complete coverage when working out there. In reality they are all connected to the one network so the routers and locations make no difference.

8. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

lol... I had 2 screenshots that I was working with, and I uploaded the un-finished one. Oh well :) Thanks for the heads up!

----------

Wow... that's some serious setup dude!!! who's your IP?