iOS 5 will not update my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jdminpdx, Jun 8, 2011.

1. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I hope someone can help me. I am about to go insane. I have litereally spent almost 3 hours on this. I am trying to get my iPad 2 on iOS 5. My UDID is registered and everything is good on that end. When I try to restore, I am met with one of 2 messages and it seems to change depending on what kind of work around I try. First is this message:

"The iPad "So and so's iPad" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

I get this message whether I put my iPad into DFU mode first or whether I just go the option-click route.

It was suggested that I change a host file so I did that and sometimes I am met with the above message, or other times I am met with this:

"The iPhone "so and so's iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1)"

If you look at that second message it calls my iPad an iPhone? WTF?

I have completely uninstalled and resinstalled iTunes and still keep running into this problem. Can someone help me! It would be greatly appreciated. :confused::(

2. jdminpdx thread starter macrumors 6502

I should mention that I DO have the 10.5 beta of iTunes in use.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Go into tiny umbrella and uncheck the box for updating the hosts file. May be another checkbox too, need clean path to Apple

4. jdminpdx thread starter macrumors 6502

Under advanced, I have these options:

Save ALL Available SHS CHECKED

Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit (If you need a clean restore from Apple uncheck this box) UNCHECKED

Request SHSH From Cydia CHECKED

Overwrite exisiting SHSH files on "Save SHSH" CHECKED

When connecting a device, prefer my custom name over the name set on the device UNCHECKED

It was suggested to me to uncheck the Set Hots box but so far its still a no go.

And thank you for replying.

5. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

Are you using the "Check for Update" button or the "Restore" button? At first I was using the check for update button, which wouldn't work.

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

You have to # out the apple host file in terminal. Look on stealth bravos twitter page he posted a walk thru

7. jdminpdx thread starter macrumors 6502

I looked at his twitter and cant see a reference to what your talking about.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

UNcheck that one. If I remember correctly, it was the key when I had the same problem. (I was away from my mac last night so couldn't check my TinyUmbrella settings 'til now)

9. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

10. jdminpdx thread starter macrumors 6502

11. JackDoc macrumors newbie

I found that going onto tiny umbrella, then hitting advanced and unchecking "change host file on exit" bla bla
    This worked instantly for me :D

12. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I am getting error 3002 when trying to update. I do not have tiny umbrella installed. My iPad 2 is registered as a development device. Of course I am using iTunes 10.5. Any ideas?

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Check this thread for thoughts/ideas related to restore vs upgrade and ensuring the hosts file isn't redirecting away from Apple

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1164889

14. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Thanks for that. My hosts file is ok. I found out that only a restore and then a restore from backup is possible. At the moment I do not want to go that route, so I will wait for the next beta.

15. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

Sigh.

To the op:
    I saw your post in the Apple Developers forum (I'm having the same problem) and was disappointed by the way they treated you. They represent the stuck stereotype that most people apply to Mac users.

And to everyone else, thanks for the links, I'll try it out now.