IOS 5 won't download for Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MayBuyAnIphone, Jun 2, 2012.

1. MayBuyAnIphone macrumors newbie

Note: I posted the same thread in the IOS 5 forum.

My kids have Ipod Touches with IOS 4.3.3 installed. When connected to Itunes, I am prompted to download the latest versions of IOS 5. Every time I select Update, the download begins but times out and fails before 100MB are downloaded. The size of the download is 750MB.

My internet connection is just fine and I have confirmed that Itunes is an authorized app for my firewall settings. I can't think of anything that may be wrong on my end that is preventing the download from completing. Since the download always begins but times out, the problem looks like it is with the Apple servers.

Is there an alternate method to download IOS 5 and apply it to the Ipods?

Thanks

2. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

There are sites you can download from. A lot of the jailbreak sites have them. There is also an apple site. I will try to find it for you.

Edit: found one http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What generation iPod Touch is it and what is it's capacity? Because 3rd gen 8GB iPod Touches can't get iOS5.

4. MayBuyAnIphone thread starter macrumors newbie

I found the link on that website but it keeps hanging as well when I try to download it from there.

----------

Its says 29.06 GB capacity in Itunes so I assume that means its relatively new. We bought it 2 years ago for them.

5. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

You should at least be able to download it especially from the linked site. Im thinking it's your Internet.

6. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

7. keith4594 macrumors member

same thing happening to me
    all upto date but im on 10.8
    might be the problem

8. MayBuyAnIphone thread starter macrumors newbie

I have AT&T Uverse and have been downloading MMO games that are multiple GB in size with no problems whatsoever.

9. donlab macrumors 6502

donlab

Disk space?

Does your computer have at least 750MB of free disk space to download the update?

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

What browser are you using?

I would suggest using a download manager so you can stop and pause the downloads. I have U-Verse too and have trouble with my downloads losing the connection. With Apple's servers being so busy and constantly overloaded, I suspect that it's the two together causing the issue.