iPod touch IOS 5 won't download for Ipod Touch

MayBuyAnIphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Note: I posted the same thread in the IOS 5 forum.

My kids have Ipod Touches with IOS 4.3.3 installed. When connected to Itunes, I am prompted to download the latest versions of IOS 5. Every time I select Update, the download begins but times out and fails before 100MB are downloaded. The size of the download is 750MB.

My internet connection is just fine and I have confirmed that Itunes is an authorized app for my firewall settings. I can't think of anything that may be wrong on my end that is preventing the download from completing. Since the download always begins but times out, the problem looks like it is with the Apple servers.

Is there an alternate method to download IOS 5 and apply it to the Ipods?

Thanks

MayBuyAnIphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
There are sites you can download from. A lot of the jailbreak sites have them. There is also an apple site. I will try to find it for you.

Edit: found one http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
I found the link on that website but it keeps hanging as well when I try to download it from there.

----------

What generation iPod Touch is it and what is it's capacity? Because 3rd gen 8GB iPod Touches can't get iOS5.
Its says 29.06 GB capacity in Itunes so I assume that means its relatively new. We bought it 2 years ago for them.

Bobby.e

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2012
Kansas
You should at least be able to download it especially from the linked site. Im thinking it's your Internet.

MayBuyAnIphone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
You should at least be able to download it especially from the linked site. Im thinking it's your Internet.
I have AT&T Uverse and have been downloading MMO games that are multiple GB in size with no problems whatsoever.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
Disk space?

Note: I posted the same thread in the IOS 5 forum.

My kids have Ipod Touches with IOS 4.3.3 installed. When connected to Itunes, I am prompted to download the latest versions of IOS 5. Every time I select Update, the download begins but times out and fails before 100MB are downloaded. The size of the download is 750MB.

My internet connection is just fine and I have confirmed that Itunes is an authorized app for my firewall settings. I can't think of anything that may be wrong on my end that is preventing the download from completing. Since the download always begins but times out, the problem looks like it is with the Apple servers.

Is there an alternate method to download IOS 5 and apply it to the Ipods?

Thanks
Does your computer have at least 750MB of free disk space to download the update?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have AT&T Uverse and have been downloading MMO games that are multiple GB in size with no problems whatsoever.
What browser are you using?

I would suggest using a download manager so you can stop and pause the downloads. I have U-Verse too and have trouble with my downloads losing the connection. With Apple's servers being so busy and constantly overloaded, I suspect that it's the two together causing the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.