Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FalconsMalteser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Hi guys

I recently joined the apple developer programme, and today, tried to install iOS 5 onto my device. However I believed it has bricked it. Could this be because I didn't install a provisioning profile on it first? Any ideas on how I can solve my problem and get my iPod working again?

Cheers!

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
You've given no information as to what your device is actually doing.

Does it get to the Apple logo and freeze?
Does it boot and then freeze?
Does it jump off the table and sing a Lady Gaga song?

What help and direction we can provide is dependant on the information you provide.

FalconsMalteser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
You've given no information as to what your device is actually doing.

Does it get to the Apple logo and freeze?
Does it boot and then freeze?
Does it jump off the table and sing a Lady Gaga song?

What help and direction we can provide is dependant on the information you provide.

Sorry, I realise I wasn't clear enough. It isn't doing anything. It just won't turn on.

FalconsMalteser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Are you positive it has charge? Plug it into wall power and let it sit.

It may sound stupid, but best to eliminate the easy stuff first.

I've tried that. Maybe if I give a bit more detail it may help.

In Xcode I had selected to install iOS 5, it then told me I had to restore my device. That all seemed to be working and I got the apple logo with the loading bar underneath it, and then it just turned off. iTunes popped up telling me it needed to restore my device. It started to do it, and then just failed.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
DFU is essentially the "catch-all" for problems. Most issues can be sorted out with a DFU restore - not all, but most.

On another note, as tempting as iOS 5 is (even for a new developer), I wouldn't recommend putting it on your primary device. You've experienced the "fun" once - do you really want to do it again?

FalconsMalteser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
DFU is essentially the "catch-all" for problems. Most issues can be sorted out with a DFU restore - not all, but most.

On another note, as tempting as iOS 5 is (even for a new developer), I wouldn't recommend putting it on your primary device. You've experienced the "fun" once - do you really want to do it again?

Okay, I will bare that in mind, thanks!

Well it isn't actually my primary device. I know I had a problem first time around, but I believe it's because I hadn't installed a provisioning profile on my device, which I now have. I've tested an application that I wrote, on the device and everything works fine.

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
Download tinyumbrella and click the button to kick it out of recovery mode. 99% certain its what you need. Just plug it in and select it in tu and click "Exit Recovery."

Sorry for the semi necro but figured it may help.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Not Only That

But since ios5 is just around the corner anyway, better to wait:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.