iOS 6.0.1 on 3GS Problem

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by rypaca, Nov 4, 2012.

1. rypaca macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 3GS that I've been using as an iPod for the past few years and I performed the upgrade to 6.0.1 this evening... and the upgrade finishes, the iPhone reboots, and then the "plug into iTunes" graphic appears. I do as I'm told, and iTunes tells me the phone is in recovery mode and has to be restored. So I dutifully follow iTunes' instructions, and it falls into a loop: graphic on iPhone, iTunes detects a phone in recovery mode, performed restore, iPhone reboots, shows graphic.

I've hard reset the iPhone twice, rebooted my iMac - no luck. Seems to be stuck. I went to the Apple Store today and played around with a new iPod Touch... I think the iPhone knew I touched another!

Any ideas out there?

Thanks much in advance!
    Ryan

2. mdehoogh macrumors member

My 3GS actually did the same thing last night. It didn't loop though, it showed the message about recovery mode once and after restoring it worked alright.

3. rypaca thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed - As soon as it restarted after being restored through iTunes, I unplugged it from iTunes and it recovered on its own.

4. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

How's 6.0.1 performance on your 3GS after its fixed? Is it ok? It's working like an absolute breeze on my 2 3GS, really appreciate Apple making an effort to support a 2009 phone in 2012 & into 2013.

5. MikeGrant macrumors newbie

You guys are lucky - iOS 6 has wrecked my iPhone 3GS. Apple want more to repair it than a second-hand 3GS costs!

6. blair554 macrumors newbie

I also have an old 3GS but I don't update to iOS 6 because I'm afraid to destroy it, after all, it is a 2009 phone. But now I think I can do that from your experience. :D

7. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

If you're afraid of any problems, update using iTunes instead of OTA. Downloading the 6.0.1 firmware over iTunes is better IMO. Hope it'll be a good experience for you too.