iOS 6.0.1 OTA forced a recovery mode restore from iTunes!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by acarney, Nov 1, 2012.

1. acarney macrumors 6502

iPhone user from day 1 with the very first iPhone and never had an update go bad, however 6.0.1 forced me into recovery mode and surprise surprise iTunes must RESTORE.

I downloaded the "update" updater and then let that do it's thing, that took me to the software update which gave me an error after verifying. So i restarted my AT&T iPhone 5 and as soon as it booted it asked to install the new iOS, it verified ok and installed but as it went to reboot it showed the connect to iTunes screen.

iTunes now has to erase the device and restore from factory settings. Thank God I had my MacBook Air with me when I did this update. I could have sworn you now didn't need a computer to update or setup iPhones...

Anyway, to get the 0.0.1 point release it'll take FIVE HOURS of restoring. Something seems wrong with this multistep update. I think Apple needs to pull this and roll it into two separate updates or something. I can't figure out how I messed up when the phone did everything automatically. Just be warn, you might lose text messages, pictures, and other data when doing this update :eek:

2. reallynotnick, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

This just happened to me, I'm so pissed as I hadn't synced forever and I don't use iCloud as I am on Snow Leopard. Luckily I had backed up only 10 days ago.

3. acarney thread starter macrumors 6502

This seems to be pretty isolated; you're only the third person I've noticed complain about this (including myself). I sent a tip off to MacRumors a good six hours ago or so hoping they would at least post a reminder about backing up before doing an update. I know it's always worth doing but Apple has babied us in the past before with such easy and seamless OTA upgrades that I figure just about everyone forgets to actually do a backup. Even iCloud users end up being rolled back probably 6 to 12 hours or so. My backup's normally take place around 1 to 4am based on my schedule and I updated late in the afternoon. Who know's how many text messages I could have lost or pictures if I had been going around town or something and not near WiFi until I started the update.

Honestly though in my case I just lost time, only a few messages across the day and maybe one picture of a white board at school.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

That sucks. Mine went fine. I would have hated to spend the hours re syncing everything.

Why would you not have synced your phone to ML at all, though? Sorry, that just seems like you're asking for trouble. What if your phone was lost, stolen, or damaged beyond repair? You'd have lost all your data then too.

5. arranjenks macrumors member

thats really strange. I'm in the UK and i literally just downloaded and installed 6.0.1 in less than 5 minutes, with no problems at all.

It's more than likely an isolated incident. Or maybe your wifi/cellular signal dropped during the verification process which then prompted the error?

Since restoring, have you managed to update to 6.0.1?

Thanks

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I guess I won't be doing the OTA update for this version as my computer is 8,000 miles away right now. This can wait till I'm back home. Even if the odds are low, I'd rather not take a chance.

7. drummed macrumors newbie

Updated OTA last night. Just seen that all 20 gig of my music on 4s had been deleted without warning (match user). Not impressed!!

8. rainev macrumors newbie

Something like this happened to me as well. Initiated the update on the phone and moments later screen of my iPhone tells me to plug it into iTunes and the phone needs to be restored.

I'm not too pissed about it since the backups should be there but syncing all that music back will take some time.

9. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

Same thing just happened to me on my iPad (connected via the computer not over the air) i've never had to restore to factory settings, thank goodness i just backup everything but this is going to be a pain and i don't think i will do my iPhone now. I've had the iphone/ ipad since day one and it's never happened to me.

10. tyno macrumors newbie

Same problem here on 4S

Bad issue I think. Don't know what I lost yet, but there's is 5GB extra space on my iPhone... :mad:

11. bituser macrumors newbie

I registered just to say that this happened to me also. However, I am using an iPod Touch 4 32GB. It is interesting because all I did was tap update, next thing the iPod turned off. Unfortunately I do not have my cable with me at the moment so I can't fix the issue. I thought that was the whole idea behind OTA! It is strange that so few people have experienced the problem. I wonder why...

12. redoschi macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4S and 3rd gen iPad didn't have any problems updating, but my parent's iPad 2 has just gone into recovery mode.

My mom doesn't backup often and to top it off my dad has gone on a business trip for the remainder of the week taking his macbook with him (and their iPad backups! :()

13. janicemaegan macrumors newbie

updating to ios 6.0.1

Hello anyone can help me? i just update my iphone 4 to the new vertion and i restore to factory and i got back all the app but the problem is all the information photos and messages is not in there how can recover the old one? pls help me....

14. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

strange issue this. just writing in to say my wife's 4s faced the same problem but the outcome was a bit different from u guys. she plugged it into her cousins laptop (once the 4s screen said connect to itunes, as she was on a trip)... the risk was obviously that she'd lose ALL data. what happens next is beyond my understanding... turns out the update comes through, no data loss, no restore, nothing... while upgrading to 6.0.1, she got some weird error screen and so i (sitting in a different country) ask her to go to settings n see the software version she's on n it shows 6.0.1.

Not sure how this happened... but its happened. so that's that. bit of a fluke im thinking.

15. sadeed86 macrumors newbie

My IOS 6.0.1 wont restore even by default ipsw

Holla, at 1st my iphone 4 was normal on ios 6.0.1. Then it experienced "Restore Needed, iphone cannot make or recieved calls"
    So that i tried to normally restore to ios 6.0.1 using itunes, during the process almost 70% complete, it get itunes error (-1).
    So my phone is bricked, the new firmware ios 6.0.1 is not completely installed on my phone.
    WHAT CAN I DO NOW?!!!