iOS 6.1.2 4S

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by delphus, Feb 20, 2013.

1. delphus macrumors newbie

delphus

So far. didn't notice any better performance as apple claims with this update.

- my bt earphone is getting the sound crackled (wasn't before)
    - my phone stays always in E (edge). to return to 3G I have to always turn it off and on again on settings.
    - stays connected to wifi even when wifi network is out of range. but of course no connection working whatsoever
    - battery life just sucks. feels like 6.1.1 I had better battery performance

I've restored with no backup from 6.1.2 but I think I will restore again using my 6.1.1 backup. Since creating a new phone didn't help me much.

it just sucks. when I first got my 3GS. at that time I hadn't so many features like today but my phone used to work flawlessly, nowadays I have to find workarounds every time they release a new version.
    how I miss Steve Jobs

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Just so you have it, here's Apple's "claim" with this update:

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1639

Also, your 3GS wouldn't function any differently were Steve Jobs still alive. In fact, he'd probably have preferred that it be bricked by now so that you'd go out and buy a new one. But if missing him makes you feel better, have at it.

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

Not having any of those issues with my 4s.
    Yet.

4. delphus thread starter macrumors newbie

delphus

Yeah, I said in the sense that he was behind all the staff, like bigboss, protecting somehow his apple products from major disasters like this IOS 6
    I think we never had so many large patches like nowadays. we've been downloading almost 1gb every time a patch is released. Three so far, since november, it's one patch for each month, but feb we had already two.
    Isn't it just too much ? Is there anyone really planning all this ?

5. benfica88 macrumors regular

Updates are incremental...

6. delphus thread starter macrumors newbie

delphus

Well tell my iTunes that...

7. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

The point updates are only ever that large when you update via iTunes. It's always been that way; it's not new to iOS 6. If you update OTA, iOS 6.1.2 was only 11.5 MB for the 4S, 12.8 MB for the 5, and presumably smaller than both for the 3GS.

Bugs (or issues, in general) happen. This was certainly true when Jobs was heading Apple and may well continue to be forever. From my perspective, it's better to fix them as you find them than to wait for some pre-defined release date.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

With iTunes, it downloads the WHOLE OS, as it always has. If you download OTA, it only downloads the updates, as it has since OTA was introduced.

9. Bahroo macrumors 68000

What the hell...are people really missing "steve jobs" because of a simple, small software update? Have you tried a simple hard reset to try and fix your problem?

10. cynics macrumors G4

If a full restore doesn't do it a reset won't (reset is part of the restore process).

11. delphus thread starter macrumors newbie

delphus

Thank you for being sane here. Anyway I will restore it again today and won't restore backups. Just to double check it. Yesterday I've restored from my old backup and still the same problems occurring.
    When I say restore I mean restore and no updates.

Thanks

12. cynics macrumors G4

If a restore from new doesn't work (may want to try from a different computer/iTunes) then I'd assume its some sort of hardware malfunction. You may be able to sweet talk a genius into something, worst case pay the (50-100 dont remember) for a replacement.

13. iRetired macrumors 6502a

iRetired

To OP: You may want to uninstall iTunes and re-install it after a complete shutdown and startup. There are problems with the latest version of iTunes running on Windows 7 64-bit, if that's on your PC.

14. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

I echo your words, delphus and every update screws up something that worked before. Maybe, Steve Jobs wouldn't allow crapware updates, but it's really a pain in the a** for many of us here.

15. delphus thread starter macrumors newbie

delphus

At least someone that can interpret texts here. You made my words dude. That's exactly what I meant in the first place.

So I've restored my iPhone again after iTunes and iOS 6.1.2 file download and created a new iPhone, I didn't restore my old settings and guess what, the only problem I still get is the edge and 3G network. Sometimes iPhone will stay in edge even when 3G is available. So to change it to 3G I have to go to settings general cellular and turn off and on again 3G.
    Well at least it works but I must say it just annoys sometimes. It used to be automatic and now I'm not sure why my iPhone wont switch between protocols automatic.

Guess I will still be using the workaround on this one...

16. Beeplance macrumors 68000

Beeplance

Unless you guys use Exchange, you're better off staying on 6.1 or 6.1.1. No point updating to 6.1.2.

17. Ste Nova macrumors 6502

i upgraded to get rid of the (1) on settings!

18. Beeplance macrumors 68000

Beeplance

Lol? I'll upgrade when Apple releases 6.1.3, more meaningful improvements then.

19. Kurios2, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013

Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

That isn't true, because 6.1.2 fixed a problem I had in the App Store. Version 6 screwed up Purchased as I explained here earlier. You couldn't get to apps on your phone or the ones removed.
    Apple doesn't give you a detailed report on every single item that's included in any of their updates, only the major ones. As far as exchange, it didn't effect me at all, since I had no problem concerning that.
    Apparently, there's no fix for the bothersome matter delphus was encountering in the new version. Workaround and workaround keeps our fingers busy.

20. chisasba macrumors member

Updated my iPhone to 6.1.2. I did a backup before trying to update just in case. In the middle of the update it had my plug my phone into iTunes and was in recovery mode. I had to download the 900MB~ iOS 6.1.2 update in iTunes and wait for it to restore. I get all my stuff back except 150 photos or so. All of the ones of my new born son were not included. :mad:

I'm done with iPhones.

21. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

6.1.3 just adds map improvements for Japan and a fix for the passcode security flaw. Not much to see there.

22. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

iTunes can be a b**** sometimes. I hate using it for managing my devices. The new version is faster and not as bloated but I still feel its clunky. And then stuff like what you're describing happens.

23. Beeplance macrumors 68000

Beeplance

It's still in beta!

24. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

True, but .0X releases aren't usually in beta for long. I wouldn't be surprised if it was released in early March.

25. techbul macrumors newbie

Apple should really get their stuff together. You can really see how much Steve Jobs was positively affecting everything going on there.