iOS 6.1 - Background Audio - Disabled or a Bug?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Cod3rror, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I listen to Pandora all the time and I've not run into this, does it only occur with safari and youtube? Is your phone jail broken?

3. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Disabled by Apple in apps such as Safari. Apps like Spotify should still work fine.

4. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

It turns out while video background audio WON'T work, normal background audio will. And in safari it even shows the tab currently playing the audio. Above the tab there will be a small 'play' icon when audio is playing.

5. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I'm not sure, I'm still on iOS 5.

I am jailbroken, but this has nothing to do with it, it was a standard feature that worked.

That's so stupid if Apple really disabled it.

Is that in iPad or the iPhone?

6. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

I noticed it on iPod touch (so iPhone as well). It looks the same as the one on the emoji keyboard.

7. twintin macrumors 6502

Seems to be app dependent. Apps like YouPlayer and ACE Player for instance still can be played in the background.

8. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

In the second video its starting the youtube app when pressing play isnt it? Think that works for background audio now too.

9. twintin macrumors 6502

The second video shows iOS 5 where it worked as you described. This thread is about iOS 6 where same function does not work any longer for some apps (like the youtube app).

10. Liquidizer, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

Liquidizer macrumors newbie

I've found a way to fix it (sort of) that works on my iPad on 6.1.2. Start, for example, a YouTube video playing, and lock your device. Then, double click to get music controls up, and press play. Now, this is the part that makes it a bit of a rubbish 'fix' - you need to have a notification of some kind, such as an email, that you can slide to view. When you view it (I've only tested it with an email but I'm sure it will work with any notification) the audio will stop. However, if you get up the multitasking bar and slide right you can get it to play. I hope this makes sense, I know it's not really that practical but it works.

EDIT: Only works with YouTube through Safari.

11. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Thanks, that must be an iOS 6 thing.

Yes, in the second vid it works in the background from Safari or any other app. So handy!

So, I still wonder, is this deliberate or a bug? I so hope it's a bug.

12. DMH3006 macrumors regular

I think it makes sense,the audio is coming from a video and for you to get the audio going its required to process the video even if you're not watching it, so basically you'd be processing a video without actually watching it which makes no sense to me(and it seems to them as well).

13. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

It was a nice feature to listen to a song or video where the conversation is required only to listen and be able to shut off your screen and listen.

14. DMH3006 macrumors regular

Of course but from a battery standpoint its terrible. Maybe they could find a way of only processing the audio part of the file?(I'm not sure if this is possible or not,just an idea)

15. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Maybe it should've been left up to the user do decide? How about that? Maybe I don't care if it drains the battery, maybe I have the phone on a charger.

16. DMH3006 macrumors regular

A change as been made,i'm sure they've had their reasons for the change,they just didn't decided to remove it just to mess you with you, it is what it is,you can't change it so just learn to use the new way that it works into your advantage.

17. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Yes, unfortunately Apple took away, another useful feature to appease to people that like to have things chosen for them.

I'll stick around with iOS 5.1.1

18. elistan macrumors 6502a

It's possible. Here's the Apple Developer page that talks about it.

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#qa/qa1668/_index.html

19. DMH3006 macrumors regular

Dude its been this way since iOS 1.0 and as the poster over me posted if the programmed/coder/whatever changes it it will still work as before. If you're unhappy you're in a great time to be unhappy as there is great choice with the HTC ONE or the S4 from Samsung or you could just jailbreak. Besides if you're still on iOS 5.1.1 why are you complaining? its not bothering you on the software you're using so whats the big deal?

20. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Because I was planning to upgrade, eventually.

21. DMH3006 macrumors regular

Now you know not to wait,as it is very unlikely it will change.

22. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

You never know, lots of people miss this useful feature. With Samsung and others coming out with tons of new features, Apple cannot afford to take features away.

23. DMH3006 macrumors regular

I hardly doubt this feature would even show up in the features pages of any current product or future one,if you enjoy the "real" multitasking of android HTC One seems to be a great phone.