iOS 6.1 & Background Audio

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by arc123, Feb 5, 2013.

1. arc123 macrumors member

I have tried looking through several threads on this topic, and maybe I am especially obtuse, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what has changed between 6.0.1 and 6.1 with regard to background audio. Some people are saying they're having trouble with YouTube, but I'm wondering if it's a general issue. I am on 6.0.1 and I've noticed that Atomic Browser shuts off audio if I leave the app or lock the phone. Safari seems to work though.

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

My [admittedly limited] understanding is that there were some changes to the API in 6 that require developers using UIWebView to go in and reenable background audio.

3. arc123 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, OK. I'm just wondering, mainly, if I'm risking a major shift in support for background audio if I switch to 6.1

4. dellAbait macrumors member

this is either a change or a glitch. If it's a change, i will never buy another apple product again.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Don't be so melodramatic. It's not like these apps are incapable of playing audio in the background. The developers just have to tweak their settings a little bit.

6. dellAbait macrumors member

The app developers that write safari? Seems like apple, instead of giving us more features, is now taking away important features without a mention.

7. jpadhiyar macrumors regular

I think it's definitely got to do with some default setting that Apple has now changed.. Safari and YouTube no longer support the background audio but there's this app called McTube which still works for the background audio thing.. check it out here:

But the question is, is Apple 'fixing' a feature (that it considers an issue?) or is Apple willingly changing the code so it will be harder to have background audio?

8. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Amazing. The mentality of some people never fails to astonish me.

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I'm on 6.1 and I played a song in Safari and jumped into iMessage and the song keeps playing, unless that is different than what you're talking about.

10. dellAbait macrumors member

What do you mean? I'm a consumer with choices, what's the problem?

----------

you probably played a quicktime video, those still work.

11. rdinterman macrumors member

rdinterman

I Heart Radio

The I Heart Radio app will also not play in the background with OS 6.1 on my iPhone 5.
    Hopefully there will be an update soon!

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I played a song on soundcloud through safari in the background. You're being a bit ridiculous. .