iOS 6.1 Exchange ActievSync issue?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dsut4392, Feb 6, 2013.

1. dsut4392 macrumors newbie

Anyone aware of a new issue with iOS 6.1 and MS Exchange?

Just received this message from the exchange server (to Outlook on my desktop):
    Your phone won't be able to synchronize with the server via Exchange ActiveSync because of an access policy defined on the server.
    Information about your mobile phone:
    Device model: iPhone3C1
    Device type: iPhone
    Device ID: ApplXXXXXXXX4S
    Device OS: iOS 6.1 10B144
    Device user agent: Apple-iPhone3C1/1002.144
    Device IMEI:
    Exchange ActiveSync version: 14.1
    Device access state: Blocked
    Device access state reason: DeviceRule

Followed by the following "all users" broadcast from our IT department:

IT Services have received further notification from [redacted- whole-of-government email service provider] that they will be blocking only Apple iOS 6.1 traffic to their Exchange as it is flooding their servers. Any exchange traffic eg. emails, calendar appointments etc from an Apple device will be blocked.

This issue is currently being investigated by Apple/Microsoft. We will provide a further update or a solution as soon as possible.

It is suggested that until this issue is resolved all email or calendar appointments be sent using the Outlook client on your pc or Outlook Web Access (OWA).

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm (among other things :) ) an Exchange Administrator and we support iOS devices via ActiveSync. From what you posted Exchange is at least Exchange 2010 SP1. Do you know if it's SP2 RU 5 v2? Or what's between Exchange and the devices (UAG, etc.)? Tomorrow I'll see if anyone's heard of it but we haven't experienced any issues. I haven't run any reports recently but if we don't have many iOS devices running 6.1 it may be a matter of scale.

Please update the thread if you get more info. Thx.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Our Microsoft guy just heard this morning something is afoot and doesn't have any details but is looking into it.

4. blybug macrumors 6502a

blybug

Just got this email from the IT Dept at my university:

Good afternoon;

We noticed that you are connecting to your UTMB email via Active Sync with an Apple device that is using the latest version of the operating system: iOS 6.1. UTMB is experiencing a problem that was identified as a bug by Apple and Microsoft two days ago. Unfortunately, there is no fix from the companies yet. This is causing a significant issue with our Exchange email system and we must take action.

We are asking for your assistance by disabling calendar synchronization to your UTMB calendar on your iphone and/or ipad. The steps to disable are listed below. We are working closely with Microsoft and Apple, and as soon as a resolution is in place, we will let you know, so you may turn the feature back on.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance until a long-term solution is provided by the vendor.

For further information or assistance, please contact the UTMB Service Desk.

Thank you!

Steps for disabling calendar synchronization:
    · Go to Settings
    · Go to Mail, contacts, calendars
    · Go to Exchange
    · On the slider turn off Calendars
    · On the pop-up “Are you sure you want to continue? All Exchange ActiveSync calendars will be removed from your iPhone. Select Delete from My iPhone​

----------

Here's a possible explanation

http://www.windowsitpro.com/blog/to...grade-excessive-transaction-log-growth-145223

5. dsut4392 thread starter macrumors newbie

The version number I can see from my outlook client is 14.2.328.4009, i.e. higher than 14.02.0328.010 which is listed for SP2 RU5 v2. I don't know what else is running between Exchange and the devices, the service provider is in another branch of government and probably wouldn't take too kindly to me trying to snoop around in their systems (so I don't!):D
    As far as scale there are probably several thousand devices - iPhones are pretty much standard issue for medicos and senior bureaucrats and iPads are gaining traction in some areas, and it's open slather to connect personal devices as well.

6. ikev85 macrumors member

7. dsut4392 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. If only our IT people were as good on communication. The only information sent out to us is in the OP - and that was sent out after devices were already blocked. Pity the poor crew on helpdesk who would have been subjected to a flood of calls from people trying to find out why their email wasn't working:confused:

8. dahauss macrumors regular

Hmmm.. I'm connected to exchange 2003bnp issues,.. Is it only a 2010 or newer server?