iOS 6 and 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lyn2012, May 27, 2014.

1. Lyn2012 macrumors regular

Is it possible to get 4G while running iOS 6.1? I am in the UK with an iPhone 5 on 3 network and have updated carrier settings but only get 14.0 update and no 4G option. I don't want to upgrade to iOS 7 because I don't like the look of it and also the Music app doesn't support audiobook chapters properly while iOS 6 does. Does this mean no 4G for me?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, you physically need a 4G radio in the phone and the iPhone 4 does not contain it.

3. TC03 macrumors 65816

3 uses both 800 and 1800 MHz, the 5 only supports 1800 MHz. If you're in an area that only has 800 MHz coverage, you will not have 4G. However, does the 4G setting appear in settings? That should work regardless of the iOS version.
    He has a 5.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oops, answered the post before having my morning coffee - sorry :eek:

5. Lyn2012 thread starter macrumors regular

No, 4G isn't in settings at all.

6. solosdk macrumors regular

No, you will not receive 4G. You need carrier Three 16.0 I believe to receive 4G.

Btw, you might as well update to iOS 7. With iOS 8 around the corner, you don't want to be 2 OS's behind do you? And without 4G?

I've for an iPhone 5 on 3 network too, and 4G works on 16.0 (I believe minimum is 15.6). You might as well update buddy, no point staying in the past

Also, you'll get used to the look of iOS 7. It's not so bad at all. When I got a replacement i5 with iOS 6, it looked so old and antique, you should update it has many useful features IMO

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The iPhone 5 doesn't have 4G provision, you would need to get the 5S. Upgrading the iOS will not change the hardware limitations.

8. HRPufnstuf macrumors member

Since when does the iPhone 5 not have LTE which is 4G?

9. sunking101, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Mine doesn't work on 4G. The i5 isn't compatible with any UK 4G network except for EE. Funnily enough the 5S is perfectly compatible with all of them.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Guess what? We're not all in the UK.
    The iphone 5 is LTE compatible internationally.
    If you carrier doesn't support its LTE frequencies its another story and specific to that region and certain carriers.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I appreciate that but guess what, we're not all in the US either ;-)

12. Lyn2012 thread starter macrumors regular

OK now I really confused :confused:

According to Apple's website the iPhone 5 Model A1429 supports 1: 2100MHz, 3: 1800 MHz and 5: 850MHz.

I understand that 3 uses the 1800MHz and 800Mhz bands.

However, it looks as though some people in the UK seem to be able to use their iPhone 5 on the 3 4G network. Please can anybody confirm this and/or clarify the situation for me (OS and carrier settings useful).

Regarding using iOS7, I have this on my iPad R Mini and as I said before, I really don't like it. In addition, I listen to audiobooks, mainly on my phone, and the iOS7 Music app does not support chapters while iOS 6 does. I realise that when I upgrade my phone I will lose this facility, (unless Apple reinstates this with iOS8, which seems doubtful as they don't even acknowledge the limitation), but until I do, I prefer to keep functionality with iOS6. Having experienced iOS7 on the iPad, I can say there is nothing I miss when going back to iOS6.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The iPhone 5 works with 4G on the EE network, but not on the O2 or Vodafone networks (or Giffgaff/Talkmobile which piggyback these networks). On any network within the UK other than EE, the iPhone 5 will only work with 3G and 2G network connections.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I didn't say anything about the US.
    The iPhone 5 has LTE period.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It apparently does, not that I have ever enjoyed that feature with my own iPhone 5.
    It seems to be a 'transitionary' version of LTE provision which is only available to actually use in a handful of markets. The 5S, and all newer Android handsets feature the 4G/LTE facility in any market. You have to be very careful with the i5 and research whether it will work for you.

16. Lyn2012 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your input but it says here http://www.imore.com/three-uk-issues-carrier-update-iphone-owners-enable-4g-lte, and on other sites, that IP5 can access the UK 3 4G network - although it looks to me as though it only does so when running iOS7.

17. sunking101, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

iOS6.1 has UK 4G support, so as you're on EE it should be working for you.

*Edit, ah my mistake. You aren't on EE...

18. solosdk macrumors regular

Its compatible on Three network. Works for me right now. Can confirm with at least 3 other relatives that 4G works on Three UK with carrier version 16.0.

----------

Hello, did you not read my reply above? I said that you need to update to iOS 7 to receive the latest carrier settings to receive 4G ability.

All of my family who use iPhone 5's received the carrier update 15.6 a long time ago which enables the 4G button in settings. 4G indeed works in my town.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Perhaps the 3 network needs iOS7 for it to work then. The iOS6.1 January 2013 update apparently included the provision of 4G network usage within the UK.

I'm on O2, and running 7.1.1, but I still don't get 4G....

20. solosdk macrumors regular

Ah yes that explains it. I don't think iPhone 5 is compatible with any UK network except for EE and Three. The 5S on the other hand IS compatible with ALL UK networks. And yes are correct. Three enabled 4G in settings just 2 months ago.

21. Lyn2012 thread starter macrumors regular

That being the case I would expect it to work even under iOS6 as I have just updated carrier settings - but it doesn't, so conclusion is that the new carrier settings are only compatible with iOS7, which is a pity. As I have explained previously I have good reasons for not updating to iOS7 and enabling 4G doesn't take priority over these, although it would be nice to have it and hence my original post.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this discussion, it looks as though I will have to wait until my next phone for 4G - either an iPhone 6 or LG G3, as yet undecided.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I noticed with the i5 some 3G and LTE frequencies with certain carriers worked and others didn't.
    So you gotta research well when buying a used i5.
    I'm glad with the release of the 5S many more bands were included that made the phone usable on many more networks for both hspa+ and LTE acess.

23. njsapple2012 macrumors member

BIB: Hence the grumbling from select customers on o2 and Vodafone saying they couldn't access 4GLTE on their iP5 because the in store reps didn't tell them it wouldn't be compatible.

I know both networks had a 4G promise allowing people to terminate their 3G contracts early and return the handsets to move over to 4GLTE.

24. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

The iPhone 5 supports a few LTE networks.

The iPhone 5C and 5S support a *LOT* of LTE networks.

Lots of users have an iPhone 5 and cannot get LTE, due to lack of support for their network and/or frequency. It will work as a 3G-only device for them.

Upgrading to an iPhone 5C or iPhone 5S may be in their best interest.

25. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wow I don't ever recall things being HALF as difficult/confusing when 3G came around on the iPhone :O I hate the new look past iOS 6 but I suppose I'm going to have to get used to it with my new phone. I mean iOS has had some major changes and iOS 7 might look extreme but looks aren't everything.