iOS 6 and Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ltcol266845, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ltcol266845 macrumors regular

Hi folks,

Lately, the handset speaker has been extremely quiet during phone calls/voicemail/etc. It's pretty much impossible to hear anything unless I'm in a very quiet environment. I got my 4S when they came out last year, so it's getting very close to the end of the one year warranty.

I'm taking it in to an Apple Store Genius to have them take a look. But I'm in the beta program and am running iOS 6. Will the Genius even attempt to service my phone at all with the beta OS?

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Nope. You'll need to DFU restore back to iOS 5.

3. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

Let me know what happens if you DO bring it with iOS 6 :D

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

No need to DFU, just do a simple shift+restore to the 5.1.1 IPSW.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

If you can prove to be officially part of developer program there should be no problem with iOS6 installed. The genius might not have seen it himself :D

7. calvy macrumors 65816

I've taken mine in with beta versions on before. Normally if you've got some sort of hardware issue they won't care. They may say something about technically not supposed to allow it, but they'll be cool about it and allow it.

8. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

I can second this, they had a laid back approach when I turned up with my 3GS on iOS 5 Beta last year.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I third this I took my device in once with iOS 5 beta on they just past comment about how he wished he had it on his phone an then went through swap with me, my mate took her device in recently with ios 6 on and again genius fella was just jealous an did a swap

10. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Same results for me when I had to take my iPhone 4 in on iOS5 beta. He stated they shouldn't really be able to do it but agreed to do so anyway.

Then asked if he could play with phone to see what the beta is like!

11. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Same Thing again.

As long as it is a hardware issue they dont care, they will fix it/replace it on the spot.

They just cant help you with any software issue.

My speaker died on me too and when I went in he explained that he can only exchange it because it is hardware and not software. They dont care or even check.

12. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Same experience here, never cared about IOS version with beta 5, laptop rMBP issues when I was running ML before it came out.

just checked for hardware issues

13. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

Ha! Good to know. I ended up doing a (non-DFU) restore to 5.1.1, I figured the Genius might have wanted to do a full restore anyway just to rule software out so I saved the time.

Walked in, told him it recently started and I just restored with no effect. I was out the door with a new phone in 5 minutes :) :apple:

Thanks all

14. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

I brought mine in for a broken screen and they replaced it under AC+. They checked the iOS version, asked if I was a developer, I simply said yes and they got me a new phone, no issues at all!

15. Liam08 macrumors newbie

LOL at some of these replies. Clearly there are too many people on here that don't have a clue what they're talking about.

My power button jammed on my 4S running iOS 6, so I booked an appointment and took it to a Genius. He did the usual checks and this is what was said; 'Unfortunately as it's a fixed unit, I can't repair the phone but I will replace it for you. Also, how're you finding iOS6?'

If you don't know the answer, don't comment. You just make yourself look extremely ignorant.

The only thing you won't be able to do, is restore it in the store, since the replacement will be running iOS 5.1.1.

Hope this helps.

16. throys macrumors 6502

I bet you had a big smile on your face lol.

17. danielceleste macrumors regular

I've needed a replacement for my iPad (twice) while running beta software. Since the dock connector didn't function the first time, the genius accepted my iPad as-is. The second time, I just restored it in the store.