IOS 6 and iphone 4

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by snow755, Sep 12, 2012.

1. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

hi

i have the iphone i would like too no what are some of the new things comeing too the iphone 4 with ios 6?

2. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Read on friend http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

3. snow755 thread starter macrumors 6502a

snow755

that dos not help me

if any one is runing ios GM on there iphone 4 can you plzs tell me what you have new ?

4. kicko macrumors 65816

basically nothing will be added to your iphone 4 with ios 6.
    no siri
    no maps navigation
    no panorama pics
    no facetime over 3g

Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation are available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation). Cellular data charges may apply.

Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Cellular data charges may apply.

FaceTime video calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient and a Wi-Fi connection. FaceTime over a cellular network requires
    iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.

Offline Reading List is available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
    Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S or iPhone 5.

Panorama is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation).

Find My iPhone and Find My Friends enable you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan.

5. Hephaestus, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

Hephaestus macrumors 6502

You see this is what infuriates me as an Apple fan. I spent £500 on a phone merely two years ago, only to have it literally abandoned two years later. iOS 6 on the 3GS and iP4 are literally the same, although the iP4 is far more capable.

I can completely understand if the iPhone 4's hardware simply could not handle these features, that would be fair and absolutely fine! But there is no way in hell I believe that the iP4 cannot handle turn by turn navigation. I'll bet it can handle Flyover too and FaceTime over 3G. Fair enough if they want to keep Siri on the new models, but the total lack of features is sickening. I say this as an Apple fan, I am sorely disappointed in Apple.

6. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I really don't care about those features,with a few tweaks,everything will be solved but how's the performance,how are the games,for me,after I instaled the gm version with check+update with the udid registered,the ios is slow and a bit laggy,and for example,wild blood is laggy comparing to ios 5 and the multitasking launches a bit slower, also someone said that if I restore as a new iphone with ios 6,it will be faster and snapper,when I had installed beta 2,3 or even 1,the iphone was faster,so I want to know your opinion guys and if I install the gm now,will I have to reinstall the ios when it will be released?

7. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Well, the turn by turn uses siri... so that may be part of it.

Also, ever bought an android phone? They get abandoned less than 9 months after it comes out :p And the facetime is called facetime over cellular, and the iP4 doesn't have access to the "4G" networks.

8. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

No I haven't bought Android, precisely for that reason. Just because Android does that doesn't mean Apple should. Turn by Turn could easily be implemented without Siri if they wanted to. The same with flyover, it's simply 3D graphics. If Google Earth works with 3D rendering, why can't flyover?

If FaceTime over cellular works with the 4S, then why can't it work with the 4? The networking is pretty much identical, it's the 5 that has improved in that regard.

9. kicko macrumors 65816

the facetime baffles me as to why it can't be used over mobile networks, it must be one of those selling features of the 5. The navigation is somewhat odd too since i have used the tomtom app since day one with the phone and pretty flawless too.

Siri was never on the 4 so i wouldnt expect it now. I would be completely happy if they let the user decide if it was worth installing that feature even if that meant it would/could suffer performance issues.

so the bottom line ios 6 is nothing but a number for the iphone 4

10. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

c'mon guys,there are still a lot of features on ip4 like the mail app,passbook,safari,offline reading list,facebook,tap to post in notification center,guided acces...

11. mostlydave macrumors regular

I installed the GM on my 4 this morning and didn't notice any negative performance affects.

I do like the email notification enhancements, and the app store improvements a lot. I'm not so sure about making the music app white, it looks like a negative of the old one to me.

The missing turn by turn is a huge let down. I don't use the GPS for driving directions often but when I do I use the free mapquest app and it works pretty well. Really disappointing that they didn't include turn by turn.

The only other feature I would have really liked was panoramic pics, but there are plenty of apps that do the same thing.

12. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

the 4 is 3G only and will greatly degrade the quality of FaceTime is what I am saying. The 4S at least has HSPA+ options for a decent FaceTime experience. Apple is all about the end user experience.

13. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

For a phone that was released over 2 years ago, I was not expecting them to suddenly add all these new features. Apple is a business and they want people to upgrade to the latest iPhone. This has ALWAYS been the case and you just need to deal with it. If it really annoys you then don't buy another iPhone. There are plenty of other alternatives.

Facetime over 3G will not be very smooth and would put a lot of strain on the networks and the quality would be poor, thats probably why it is not supported on the iPhone 4.

Anyway, iOS 6 runs really smooth on the iPhone 4. I am liking the UI tweaks and the updated Safari is nice. The Music app has also been updated and looks really smart. The updated stores are nice also (will be even better when they fix the UI issues).

The iPhone 4 WILL NEVER get Facetime over Cellular, Siri or Turn-by-Turn Navigation. Never. Ever.

14. FatPuppy, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012

FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I used facetime on 3g with 3g unrestrictor and it has the same quality as it is on wifi.

15. FatPuppy, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012

FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Bla bla bla,"Apple is all about the end user experience", Apple is all about money,they want us to buy the new iphone,and when you buy Iphone 5 with 2 year contract,when iphone 6 or 7 will be released,they will do the same thing.you buy iphone 5 with 2 year contract and after a year,you have to buy another iphone because the 5 doesen't have the new features but you can't buy a new iphone because it is a FREAKIN' 2 year contract.

16. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Welcome to the world of Capitalism!

Apple is a BUSINESS. This is how it works. The main objective of any business is to maximise the wealth of it's shareholders. They need people to buy the latest phone or Mac. It probably is one of the reasons why some features have been left off the iPhone 4. This is how the world works.

They do not force you to upgrade. If you want the new iPhone then buy it. I (and other users) are still pretty happy with the iPhone 4. When my contract expires next June I will more than likely upgrade to the iPhone 5. Gone are the days when you would get half-way through a 2 year contract and realise you hate the phone you have.

17. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I think supporting a phone for 2-3 years is pretty darn good. Sounds like you should really take your suggestions to Apple if you feel that strongly about their business model. No one here can really help you with that. You are here complaining about a 2 year old phone not getting all the new features but then say you have to buy a new phone every year? I really don't understand that comment... your phone will works fine and still gets some new features. I have the 4S which I am completely happy with and don't feel the need to get the 5 at all. If I had a 4, my contract would be up by now and then I could get the 5 if I wanted.

18. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

This is what I'm most interested in. I noticed a significant drop in response and performance the first time I installed iOS5 on my 4, and if there is a similar situation with iOS6 I don't think I'll be upgrading my software.

Actually, since the 4 misses out on a lot of features I might pass anyways just to be safe.

19. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Two posters in another MR thread have indicated support for FT on the iPhone 4 and claim it works fine. More evidence that FT on an iP4 is possible technically.

BTW, I have an iP4 and my contract is not up until next July, so the lack of features supported by the iP4 in iOS 6 is rather disappointing. Not sure I will upgrade unless there is a really good reason, e.g., better battery life, faster UI response, etc.

20. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Two words - Verizon and Sprint. Both with the 4S and without HSPA+.

In any case I'm also more interested in hearing whether I should stay away from upgrading due to extra lag or crashes on the 4. It's still decent hardware, but single core and built for two iOS gens ago so I'd be wary.