iOS 6 and RSS feeds

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by IJ Reilly, Sep 26, 2012.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I keep a couple of RSS feed links in Safari on the Mac, which before iOS 6 always worked on the iPad when synced. Since upgrading to iOS 6, these links now open the Podcast app, and it asks me whether I want to subscribe to a Podcast from that site. Obviously not.

Strange problem. What's the solution?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are going to need to install an iOS RSS reader app. It should then pick up those clicks and offer to add the feed to your reader. I have been using Feeddlr.

3. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

I also suggest FeeddlerRSS .. Recently updated for iOS6 and iPhone 5 as well.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I installed Feeddler but Safari still asks if I want to open the link in Podcasts. Why does Feeddler insist on having my Google account login?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... are they podcast RSS feeds? Maybe iOS forces podcast RSS feeds into the Podcast app? Lame.

Feeddler uses Google Reader to sync RSS feeds across devices, hence the login.

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not Podcast feeds, no. Actually only tried the one so maybe the result is peculiar to the feed. So what if I don't want my feeds synced?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Then you will need to find a RSS reader that does not require Google Reader sync. Most do. NewsRack is decent and does not require Google Reader sync.