General iOS 6 and the new App Store

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BumpyFlatline, Feb 26, 2013.

1. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Hey quick question. I thought in iOS 6 in the App Store you didn't need to type in your password for updates and free apps? Whenever I have an update, it never asks for my password but whenever I install a new, free app, it asks for my password. Is this the correct behavior?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, that's correct behaviour. Apple has been getting a bunch of negative publicity because kids get access to the app store and download away.

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I noticed the same thing and wasn't sure what the deal was either.

4. BumpyFlatline thread starter macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I could have sworn that the new App Store was gonna allow us to download free apps without the need for putting in a password. Did a beta version of iOS 6 have this? Or has it always stayed the same where even free apps require a password. I don't know why I thought this.

@ 3bs, I'm glad I'm not alone! Were you also under the impression that in iOS 6 Apple was gonna drop the requirement for your password to install new, free apps?

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I could have sworn I installed an app without it asking me for a password but I guess I could have already been logged in :confused:

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I believe it's time based. It's supposed to ask you once and then if you download a series of apps (free or not) it lets you continue. Leave for a while and come back (maybe a few hours later) it will ask again.

I know it's free apps, but personally I'm glad it asks. My 9 year old does not have my password and this forces him to ask me if there's an app he wants to download.

7. BumpyFlatline thread starter macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

It's been time delayed for a while now. If you go into settings you can select ask for password immediately or ask for password after 15 mins. I forget where it's located. Maybe restrictions or in the App Store section. Hell it might even be general. It's there somewhere lol

I hear where you're coming from as far as a parent is concerned, but as the owner of the phone, I should be able to select if and when it asks for a password. I know I can install password pilot. I go back and forth on keeping it installed.

The only reason I brought this topic up was because I thought without a doubt I remember reading that apple was removing the password for free apps because they're free and therefore no harm done whereas paid apps are linked to a credit card and can run up a tab.

8. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Trouble is, free apps still have in app purchasing.........but then it'll ask for a password for them.......hmmmm....