iOS 6 Attaching Documents

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by AFPoster, Jun 22, 2012.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I see that you can now (in iOS 6) currently attached photos and videos to e-mails in an already existing e-mail instead of pulling up the image/video and having to create a new e-mail string. Question is will we be able to attach documents that same way? I hate having to go to a website, saving a document (pdf) and then going to the iBookstore to view it and attach it that way. I hope that if I'm reading an e-mail I can just click a button and attach the document. Any ideas if this is happening from the devs?

2. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Not likely because there's no native app for storing documents.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It can't happen due to the sandboxing of apps, unfortunately (Apps can't see files or folders outside their own folder tree)

What we need is for Apple to introduce a shared document store (similar to the shared photo library which does allow access to these resources from all applications through its API). I really don't know why they haven't done that yet - it would be a great way of sharing documents between apps without compromising security

4. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes it would be great, I wish they still had iDisk just for this purpose, even using Dropbox or box would be fine. sigh, oh well.

5. jman240 macrumors 6502a

6. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

That's not really true, there are a number of ways that they could handle it. They could handle it in the same way that iTunes does. If you install stanza or any number of other apps you get a "Documents" section for that app. When you want to attach something it could go into that same folder to attach a document that belongs to an app.

I agree 100% that they should incorporate a shared documents section/function, but they don't need to to solve this current problem.

7. bgro macrumors 6502a

There's definitely a way to do this because the jailbreak app "AnyAttach" lets u access the file system and even dropbox to attach any type of file in the email program.

Just another reason to jailbreak the iPhone. Outside of the small performance issues that you might have, the features you have access to when you jailbreak completely trump the stock Apple OS.

8. mtfield macrumors 6502

This is my last big hurtle before I can truely think of my iPad as a replacement for my day to day machine. I have to assume apple realizes this omission and has something planned for iCloud to fill the gap.

9. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Instead of trying to trying to figure out a way to attach documents to an email, we should be trying to figure out a better way to share files.