iOS 6 Audio Enhancements???

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by KieranDotW, Sep 19, 2012.

1. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Call me crazy, but has anyone else noticed anything... different about the sound quality on their upgraded devices? I don't know how to describe it exactly, maybe richer, deeper bass? This is probably just a placebo effect for me -- after all, it's the exact same hardware (4S) with the exact same headphones (stock Apple Earphones with Remote + Mic) -- but I just wanted to know if anyone else was hearing anything like this. :confused:

2. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

I suppose it's possible as Apple doesn't disclose all the updates it makes. I haven't really noticed it though. Are you referring to audio over the speaker or through headphones?

3. Czeslaw macrumors newbie

Yes, for me poor quality with sennheiser. strange sound :'(

4. zaxcom macrumors newbie

I noticed a very improved sound quality the moment I upgraded. With ios 5 my phone sounded very thin over bluetooth in my car. In fact I was looking at putting in new speakers to improve the bass. I loaded ios 6 and as soon as I got in the car the bass level was tremendous. I might even have to lower the bass setting on the stereo. For sure they did something to improve the low end response of the bluetooth stream.

5. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

Anyone who has the iPhone 5 - can you tell me if the music quality is improved (compared to other devices on iOS 6)? Thru headphones that is

6. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

I thought the sound has improved as well, fired Spotify over to my Logitech bluetooth boombox tonight [for the first time since iOS 6] and it sounded quite good. Better than normal I do believe. Will need more time to know for sure.

7. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Using my SkullCandy headphones, I noticed a slight improvement on the iPhone 5 compared to the iPhone 4S. But when I plugged in the new earpods (I hate that name), it became a major improvement in the sound. Not only does music sound better, but audio from videos/podcasts/games also is improved.

8. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Yes, I noticed different (better) sound quality.

9. GoldenSausage macrumors newbie

yes this is the first thing i noticed immediately after switching to ios 6. But for me the sound quality seems worse on Bass Booster eq. The bass is louder, but less deep and more bloated, making the sound messy and less accurate. I'm Fischer Eterna rev. 01 and Shure SE115.

I can imagine why it would sound better on the stock earbuds/earpods because it appears as if they just jacked up the bass output (in a bad way). The stock apple earphones lack sound isolation and bass, so simply making the bass louder would appear to make it sound better.

Are there any audiophiles using high end IEMs with ios 6 who can confirm this?

edit: link to the thread i made a week ago: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4318544?start=0&tstart=0

10. pk7 macrumors 6502

I thought it was only me!!!!! Glad to see someone else talk about it.

Yes, on my 4S, iOS 6 gives me much fuller, deeper sound and sounds much better on my car stereo. Sound check is also MUCH better and not as buggy as it was on iOS 5.

11. GoldenSausage macrumors newbie

12. silymac macrumors newbie

not here

The audio quality has been very inferior to ios5 for me since I upgraded my iphone 4. Playing the same song on my old iphone 3g was drastically better. ios6 is way quieter, and it makes no sense why that is the case.

13. Booch21 macrumors regular

Booch21

I know that I've changed the rules a bit, but I wanted to pass along my setup. It works well and sounds great. I use BBE SonicMaxPro with Bose earbuds. I see there is a free one in the App Store labelled with JVC on it. It's just an option for anyone looking at an alternative to getting great sound.

14. HEADER macrumors newbie

Ios 6 has improved sound quality
    It is a real
    I feel it in my car stero & headphones & bluetooth headset
    That is very cool

15. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Hard to say since the headphones are new as well...does seem "richer" with old headphones used on both, but could be a simple standard equalizer mix adjustment made (something you could have done on your own anyway)

16. hatred218 macrumors newbie

Little Help.

Hi, I would like to ask for help regarding the effects occured in my new ipad3 upon updating the software to iOS6. i think my speakers went from being loud to low volume... i observed that my speakers upon upgrading produces a crack noise and now producing a low sound even if the volume is in maximum.. Just bought it last week... Kindly help. thank you.