Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I updated my iPad (the new one which is a wifi model) to iOS6 beta, everything updated fine, wifi icon shows up on top, but then I cannot access anything that uses wifi. I tried to reboot and reset network settings and still nothing? Strange how it detects that an active wifi session is active but nothing comes up when I use safari, mail, etc.

Anyone else have similar issues?

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
This is being discussed heavily on the developer forums. Head over to there to see the discussion. Many are finding success by enabling WMM in the QoS settings on their routers. Of course, you can't change the settings on routers you don't own (like public access points), so until Apple fixes the bug, it just has to be lived with.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Anyone figure out if the problem is because of iOS 6 beta bug or is it a router issue?

smader12

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Regarding wifi security, I think that's where the issue may be. I had issues with my iPhone 4S staying connected to my router, a Netgear WNDR3400. At work today, however, the wifi connected and stayed connected to my clients guest network all day (a non-secured network). So at home I setup my guest network with no security, connected to it and it appears to be working fine. I understand many people may choose not to do this, but thought I'd pass along my experience anyway, I'm not sure if it applies to the iPad issues.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I have an old Airport Base Station Extreme (white ufo saucer looking one). I have 802.11g mode only and using WPA2 I believe. I tried changing the channel it uses and still doesn't work.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I have an old Airport Base Station Extreme (white ufo saucer looking one). I have 802.11g mode only and using WPA2 I believe. I tried changing the channel it uses and still doesn't work.

The thread I pointed to was at least 5 pages long, I just skimmed through some of the posts but the channel did not matter from what I saw. It was the security and the network mode from the posts that said they got it working. Read through the pages and play around, I am sure it will work. Fingers crossed.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Switch your wireless router to WMM. THAT's the solution to get Wifi working on it.

That worked for me and TONS of others. Its stated on the Dev's forum.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Does this only affect people using Apple Airport routers? I ask because I'm using pfsense as a router and I don't think it even has a WMM option in its QoS settings. I just ordered a 2012 iPad so I'd like to try to find out if I will be subject to this problem before wasting the time trying to flash iOS 6 on it.

Thanks.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Does this only affect people using Apple Airport routers? I ask because I'm using pfsense as a router and I don't think it even has a WMM option in its QoS settings. I just ordered a 2012 iPad so I'd like to try to find out if I will be subject to this problem before wasting the time trying to flash iOS 6 on it.

Thanks.

The thread mentioned other brand routers. I am sure it will be fixed soon.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Home WPA2 5GHz Linksys E3000 with DDWRT worked fine.

Work unsecured 2.4GHz guest, no dice.

Went back to iOS5 on iPad, iOS 6 on phone only for now.

mmarks9156

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
iPad 3rd Gen Wi-Fi not working

I am having the same issue on iOS 6 Beta. I am not sure how to enable WMM on my Netgear router any help would be appreciated.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
I am having the same issue on iOS 6 Beta. I am not sure how to enable WMM on my Netgear router any help would be appreciated.

In your browser go to 192.168.1.1, you will see a login popup. The default login for Netgear routers (or at least my previous one) is username of "admin", and password of "password" (both without quotes obviously). WMM should be under Advanced > Wireless Settings, or something similar. Most likely you will see an enable/disable drop down menu or a checkbox to enable it. Hopes this helps. :)

Oliver G

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I had the same issue.

Netgear routers made before 2009 generally don't have a button to enable WMM.

What I did was just revert to my other modem/router which did have a WMM button.

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
I had the same issue.

Netgear routers made before 2009 generally don't have a button to enable WMM.

What I did was just revert to my other modem/router which did have a WMM button.

Did you try enabling WMM via 192.168.1.1? I just plugged in my really really old Netgear router (I think it came out in like 2006) and was able to enable WMM via 192.168.1.1. If your Netgear router gets better reception/speed than the one you switched then it might be worth trying it. :)

kamilwaheed

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
Alright, so I too ended up installing iOS 6 beta on my new gen iPad.

As most of the people have suggested, I don't have an option for WMM in my router settings. Yes, its a very old one. I've double checked it doesn't has that option.

Any other suggested way to fix this?

Alex Kastigar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Worked for me

When I enabled WMM on my quest (now century link) modem. It worked like a charm. My 3rd gen iPad wifi only was able to connect to wifi (which it could do before) and now access the Internet. Thanks devs!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.