iOS 6 = big dissapointment

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by CallOfDuty, Sep 19, 2012.

1. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

I feel like I've got the worst iPhone ever built by Apple - The iPhone 4.
    Disappointed with no Siri with iOS 5, no fly over. Ridden with problems like antenna gate battery gate laggate all sorts of gates by Apple. And I know, some of them are overblown problems.

That's okay. I'm getting the iPhone 5 anyway. And I don't need flyover because I know its a hardware limitation. But I want to rant . Yes, ranting threads get the most attention and flaming and I know that.

So, Thanks for the added lag with iOS 6, Apple. So apparently I restored my phone twice to iOS 6 into factory conditions and I got the same annoying lag with my phone. So the only thing i can conclude is either Apple didn't do a great job optimizating it (Most likely) , or the iPhone 4 seriously has a dated hardware.

You can say I'm a person who sits around doing nothing but watch the laggy framerates my iPhone 4 has. But that's just me. Being a perfectionist, I'm anal to little details.

But looking at how smooth my iPod touch 4th gen runs iOS 6 is enough for me to doubt how Apple optimized iOS 6 with the iPhone 4. My iPod touch runs iOS 5 very well, crappy on the iPhone 4. Now it has been once again repeated with iOS 6.

If you want a great example, try quitting the camera app when you boot it from your home screen. (iPhone 4 owners) Jumpy frame rates all over the place indicates obvious negligence by Apple. And Apple and iOS is supposed to triumph Android for its 'buttery smooth' iOS which I know find it hard to believe WITH THE iPhone 4. (Again, as always, subjective to different people's opinion)

I find somewhat hard to believe engineers are actually testing iOS 6 on an iPhone 4 without even noticing all these little problems.

So Apple, how hard is it to pump up frame rates in the UI animations to at least match the iPod touch? The iPod touch running the same hardware does it well, but apparently either this was a deliberate crippling of hardware or you didn't do a great job with optimization. I'm no hardware expert, but the iPod touch comparison pretty tells me everything else.

I know I'm going to get TONS of flaming with this thread, but that's the only way I can express my opinions and a little annoyance over this issue. :(

In a word of fairness, the folders animation issue has been largely solved of course. And there are also noticeable speed improvements in a number of other areas. But I would much rather have the springboard experience to be buttery smooth and fluid too, please apple?

But I will say, iOS 6 is a great update overall features wise, but Apple needs to buck up on the optimization side. I hope Apple do not neglect older devices and actually pick up an iPhone 4 and see how 'smooth' (/s) iOS runs on that device.

Perhaps this means I shall order an iPhone 5 even sooner than the late oct-november or even december target I've set for me and my wife to get the iPhone 5. :D

2. luqtotheman macrumors regular

iOS 6 = big dissapointment

I just downloaded and used iOS for a little now:

First off Apple maps look nice but are you serious NO TRANSIT directions???? give me a break, do you know how many people around the world rely on that for their direction? Big cities like New York, San Francisco, Washington DC, etc. all use public transportation.

Second, the App store looks terrible and confusing. What was wrong with it before? The interface is cluttered and confusing.

The pull down menu has a "tap to tweet" button under the weather, what a terrible idea and it looks really ugly.

What happened to Apples model of simplification and clean design? They are doing too much and let social networks make their own apps and integrate, apple shouldn't focus on that.

3. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

You must be new here

4. Deako macrumors 6502

Looks great to me. Personally I'm loving ios6.

5. luqtotheman macrumors regular

what are the features that you like?

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Im just getting to grips with ios6 now.

Up to now no gripes from me but time will tell.

7. AR999 macrumors regular

Just look around guy everyone say the same

8. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

The exclusion of Google Maps and YouTube are a big disappointment to me.

As much as I am a fanboy who doesn't like Google...I must admit those public transport directions were SO USEFUL.

When I travel I rely on those public transportation directs so heavily - Most recently I used them in NYC and I would have been lost without them!

9. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

So it's no good? I am jailbroken on 5.1, but if iOS6 isn't as good as everyone thought, maybe I shouldn't upgrade... decisions decisions...

10. ethana macrumors 6502a

The new YouTube app, which is WAAYY better than the old one, is now out on the App Store for free. I'm very happy with it.

Ethan

11. pHeNom macrumors regular

Sold my 4S so I'm using my 3GS until Friday. I'll be avoiding io6 in the mean time, 3gs can barely handle 5.1.1 lol

all these complaints can be fixed with patches just saying OP :rolleyes:

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Oh, not much, just Improved privacy, security, standards compliance, and performance.

13. Deako macrumors 6502

It's a lot more polished. All round.

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

That's all quite false.

15. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

I can't update my apps. I've got 5GB available and it's not allowing me to update... :confused:

16. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

17. NRIUK macrumors newbie

For us iPad owners no you tube app. What a disappointment.:(

18. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

????????????????:confused::confused::confused:??????????????????

19. nickn macrumors 6502

OP, you could downgrade to iOS 5 you know. Oh, wait.... Well, you could also overclock the CPU a bit, oh wait... Uh you could use a task manager to help with ram performance. Oh, wait... Why are you buying the iPhone 5???? They are just going to repeat the cycle again in a few years...

20. Tom2893 macrumors 6502

Tom2893

Ive just got iOS 6 for my iPhone 4 and it seems to be a bit quicker and snappier..

Also I only had 130MB on my phone before the update and now i have 333MB

21. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I HATE YOU!! Now that you've pointed that out, it bugs the hell out of me. :mad: :(

iOS 6 definitely feels sluggish on the iPhone 4. Pretty disappointed.

22. Spooner83 macrumors regular

Spooner83

I told you so. Been saying this for months to my buds.

23. allistera macrumors regular

Extremely disappointed with iOS 6, in my opinion its a disaster.
    • VERY slow all round on iPod Touch 4th gen
    • Takes ages to load the app store/itunes, and times out on many occasions.
    • Display bugs in the app store.
    • Each search result on the app store takes up one page
    • Can't get detailed satalite images of my large town like I did on ios5
    • Sync issues with music; had to sync twice, first time all my music was greyed out and wouldn't play

24. stevo505 macrumors member

It feels great on iPhone 4. Much faster than iOS 5 to me. The animations no longer lag and it just feels a lot more polished.