iOS 6 broke more features than it added

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by JS82712, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Before anyone starts calling me a troll, fandroid or whatever, I'll start off with this.

I've been using iOS 6 since day 1; I own several apple products and I consider myself a pretty experienced apple user.

But with iOS 6, it made me and im sure many others as well, feel that apple disappointed many people today.

1. Glitches, all over the place. If we are comparing iOS 6 to android...sure, it's 'nice and smooth', but let's face it, it's a huge stepback from iOS 5.
    Why is app store still laggy and some buttons still don't work? Why is it that several bugs reported previously are still not fixed?

2. Arbitrary changes (change for the sake of change?) New App store layout: how is it, in any way, better than the previous layout? Don't even get me started on the terrible search 'card' view.
    Why is the status bar colour randomly changing colours?

3. Removing google, at the expense of apple customers: there are many third=party turn-by-turn apps that do an excellent job; so apple decides to implement their own, incomplete, lacluster maps app,which no third party apps can compensate for, just to get a turn by turn feature.

4. Battery life. what happened? Battery life actually increased by ~15% during beta 3 compared to iOS 5, and then things went downhill from there. What happened apple?

With all these frustrations, I can't help but to think if 'Steve would've ever allowed this' :(

2. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

Sounds like 2 and 3 are your personal preferences.

3. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Steve is gone.

4. dmblue macrumors member

I think the store could be leggy because so many people are trying to access it? Other than that I agree the update was lacklustre but most of the updates seem very subtle.

I still haven't figured out what the status bar means. I read a review saying certain apps support it but still not sure exactly.

I haven't found anything that doesn't work yet ( except passbook) but we will see soon.

On a positive note photo streams is pretty cool

5. JS82712 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JS82712

I would have agreed with your guess that perhaps there's simply a lot of people using it; but the store has been laggy since beta 1.

6. Joewat64 macrumors regular

And so will Apple be

7. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

From what I understood, it's meant to blend in with the colour of the top heading. So when you open settings, it turns blue to blend in with the blue header and not stick out so much. I hated it at first, but its starting to grow on me.

Yet the stock price keeps going up... Seems like a legit comment. :rolleyes:

8. JS82712 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JS82712

That's what I expected it to do, but apparently not...
    A lot of apps with a distinct top heading color don't even trigger any color change in the status bar, making the UI experience inconsistent.

----------

to be fair..apple's rising stocks is due to the beautiful products that it's coming out with; but one would have to agree that their software quality and advancements are really declining over the past year.

9. GiantSteve macrumors member

It feels unfinished...

This iOS 6 release looks like beta software, not the annual update for the most advanced smartphone in the market. In addition to the maps debacle, the App Store feels unfinished. The cards, while they look nice, are a step backward in functionality. It takes forever to scroll through a list of apps. Also, what is the problem with App Store reviews? Only 5 reviews show up for any app and not even the most recent. If I was a developer I'd be steamed. After 1 hour with iOS 6 I am not impressed

10. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Maybe. Maybe not.

I'm not going to compare every decision they make with a hypothetical, though.

He's gone. Move on or nothing will satisfy you.

11. JS82712 thread starter macrumors 6502a

JS82712

finally, an honest opinion.

12. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

This I agree with. There is no simplicity of uniformity in the software design. Especially in iOS 6.

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

*Facepalm*

14. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

One thing I'm surprised is still there is the blue pop up boxes (i.e. when entering password to get an app) doesn't really fit with their current design language, it's an odd colour and too curvy

15. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

From what I also read, an app has to be updated in order for it to take advantage of it. Apparently it's a very simple job, but unless the developer enables it, it will just appear as black.

Apple's stock price is not only going up because of beautifully designed products. A lot of their products have remained the same throughout the years. Minors changes here and there... The combination of the two is what makes a beautiful product. Apple is known for their easy to use iOS and it just works for a lot of people.

iOS 6 definitely still has a lot of bugs, but I'm sure Apple is already dealing with those as we speak.

16. JoeyCloverfield, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

The status bar in iOS 6 has three styles: colored, transparent, or black. The silver-ish status bar in previous iOS versions was replaced by the colored version. If a developer chooses to set the status bar to be colored in their app, they can't directly control the color as it's automatically chosen from the app's Navigation Bar.

17. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

The problem with the AppStore being laggy is exactly the same reason the Facebook app sucked, because it isn't actually an app. What it actually is is a portal to an HTML5 website. If they actually made it an app it would work as you would expect.

It boggles the mind why they would make the AppStore app as not an app lol.

18. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

I think it's because it gives Apple more control over the App Store "app". If, for example, a bug is found that all paid apps can be downloaded for free then Apple can simply push the fix immediately. However, if the App Store was a real app, they would have to launch an iOS update; Plus, I'm sure not that many people would be willing to download an update that states, "Fixes the bug that enables you to download apps for free.".

19. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

The lock at the top of the lock screen is gone!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    :cool:

20. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

Your list of "glitches all over the place" is, um, two and some that haven't been fixed? And you've been using it since day 1? I call troll since you clearly know nothing of dev.

Apple's map implementation will have google chasing its tail. You should review and consider the implementation details before you make such profound judgements that it's "just for turn by turn."

21. Morac macrumors 6502a

Morac

I've found WiFi to be flaky.

My iPad 2 was originally having WiFi issues. It would stay connected to my router, but would periodically stop downloading data, then it would start, then stop. I restarted the iPad and that seemed to get things working, but I'm a bit wary.

On my iPhone 4S, an app was downloading (and had been doing so very slowly for about 15 minutes) and all the sudden my connection dropped and it switched to 4g. I had to manually select my network again. I started downloading again and again it dropped to 4g. This time I opened Safari and my iPhone immediately reconnected to my WiFi. I then went back to the app and it started downloading.

This can't be a coincidence, considering I've never had WiFi problems on my network prior to this.

22. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I don't think so because if you own the API you have the exact same control. The only difference here is whether you use native controls or a web view entirely.

23. bcorgan19982 macrumors newbie

I get booted from the app store after about 1 minute. Anybody else have this problem?

24. BSigz macrumors newbie

25. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Haha. That's a very funny joke.