Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
I'll do my best to explain this and I believe it's iOS 6 specific because it happens on my iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 and I noticed it right away after I updated to iOS 6.

While viewing a web page in Safari in landscape mode, when you scroll down the page you can jump to the top of the page but touched the very top edge of the screen, right?

So here is the issue (bug?) I found:

If you're in landscape mode with the volume buttons on top, notice how far down on the screen you have to touch to make safari jump back to the top of the page.

Now enter landscape mode with the volume buttons facing down. You'll notice that you can literally tap the side/edge of the phone and safari will snap back to the top.

I find this annoying because I naturally turn my phone volume buttons up.

I verified this with other phones in an Apple store too. I'm posting this here for others to verify and maybe some developers can report this Apple or is it a known bug?

Thanks!

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
i tried to replicate the behavior but i can not.
It's very subtle. Try it again. It's a bit more noticeable in full screen mode.

With volume buttons side down I can barely touch the bezel and safari will snap to top.
Button side up, my finger has to fully be on the screen.

adamsaapl

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Wow. This is very noticeable once you get a feel for it. I see exactly what you're talking about.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
That's why it doesn't always happen! I think you nailed the bug. That was driving me nuts! Send feedback to Apple.

[EDIT] I can't seem to recreate it on 6.0.1. They may have fixed it.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I have also noticed that if you are in landscape mode and turn the deivce to portrait or vice-versa, Safari automatically scrolls to the top. Is that a 'feature' or a bug? It annoys the hell out of me.

Something else that annoys the hell out of me - type a letter in uppercase accidently, then go and delete the letter in order to type it in lowercase - the iOS automatically set Caps on, so you have to manually deselect caps in order to type the correction in lowercase.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Wow i never saw this bug until now... I think that's because i always browse the web with the home button on the right

nickm81us

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
I have also noticed that if you are in landscape mode and turn the deivce to portrait or vice-versa, Safari automatically scrolls to the top. Is that a 'feature' or a bug? It annoys the hell out of me.

YES. Holy cow, I can't believe this hasn't been a bigger issue for more people! Annoying as hell.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Something else that annoys the hell out of me - type a letter in uppercase accidently, then go and delete the letter in order to type it in lowercase - the iOS automatically set Caps on, so you have to manually deselect caps in order to type the correction in lowercase.

That also happens if you have to pause and start up again during dictation. Every new input gets capitalized and I constantly forget to turn it off if I have to go back in to manually change a misheard word.

----------

I think it may be a feature because it doesn't happen for every page. Try a couple of your bookmarks and I bet you'll find a page that doesn't automatically scroll back up. I think it may be something in the HTML source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.