iOS 6 - Camera trouble focusing

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by silver8ack, Sep 29, 2012.

1. silver8ack macrumors regular

Both mine and my wife's iPhone 4S seem to be having lots of trouble focusing after upgrading to iOS 6.

Trying to take picture of my newborn from about 18" away. It will not focus on his face. The face box pops up like its trying to, but the pictures background is in focus and his face is not. Same thing happened yesterday when I was trying to take some pictures of flowers outside. It seems the camera will not focus on singular objects that have a greater distance to their background relative to the focal length.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

3. silver8ack thread starter macrumors regular

Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't.

I've taken thousands of pictures with my iPhones. My wife, even more. Never had this problem until iOS 6.

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Very weird. My iPhone 4 just focus a bit quicker than before.

5. mplspitbull macrumors newbie

iphone 4s landscape,scenery focus issue

After upgrading my 4s to iOS 6 I can no longer take landscape/scenery and well just general photos without the images being fuzzy. There is no central focus in the images, just fuzziness. If I take a close-up photo, the image is amazing.

Any thoughts? Tonight I am going to revert back to factory settings and reinstall everything... 3 hours of my life I'll never get back. lol

6. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I'm not sure about a lack of focus, but i do know that when i try to take a picture on my 4s it takes about 2 seconds now to actually take the picture. the camera does this one last dramatic focus, then takes the picture.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

The way focus works on these is by contrast. So at that distance then if you're focusing on a clear white face or dark hair then it has a hard time separating anything. you should aim for higher contrast sections of the face like eyes/eyebrows to test things out.

As for focusing on iOS 6, I have two very young ones and my shots are in focus when I dictate what the subject is. but I'm finding a lot of my quick (no tap) snapshots don't actually pick out the subject accurately in comparison to my 4S where I could often snap-and-go and nail the moment. Hopefully it's a known issue and gets fixed because something definitely feels different.