Ios 6 coming out during press conference?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by travis64, Sep 11, 2012.

1. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

2. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

No goldmaster for devs will be released.The full release will be a day or 2 before the new phone

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i was wondering this same thing. didnt they release 5.0.1 right after last keynote speech for the new ipad?

4. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502

a point update is different then a full update like this,
    ios 6 will go GM tomorrow, ios 6 will be out a few days before the new iphone goes on sale

5. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

GM? not sure i know what that means. but i see your point about the point update vs full update. thanks for the info.

6. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

GM = Gold Master, it's basically the last non-production release of the OS (the production release is the same codebase, though sometimes there's a slight rev number change or tweak).

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

gotcha. of all my years on forums, never heard of that. apple thing?

8. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Similar to 'RC' or Release Candidates that is sometimes termed by other software developers.

Chances are exactly that, the GM or near GM will be released to developers to polish and ensure that their Apps are ready, and then will be staggered a few days before the new iPhone comes out, so they aren't hammered anymore than they need to be before launch date. Apples servers are really strained during iOS/iPhone launches, at least since they started.

9. intrepid00 macrumors 6502

RC is not the same as GM.

GM is a carry over term from days of old when you would create the FINAL version for release and send it off to the publisher to be well produced and distributed. This happen to be usually gold colored. When a game back in the day went GM it was done. You were just waiting for copies to be printed. The digital version of set in stone. There was no Internet as you know it. If they messed up GM it ment expensive recalls.

RC might be the version they release if no issues are found. You are thinking RTM or release to manufacture.