iOS 6 - Contact list Facebook disatster

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Skabb, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Skabb macrumors newbie

Hi.

Updated my iPhone with iOS6, and my contact list tripled after setting up my Facebook account.

I would like to:
    1. Remove contacts I didn't have before.
    2. Sync the contacts I have on my phone with Facebook to download pictures and getting the direct message button.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

2. velle macrumors newbie

Go under settings/Facebook, and disable contacts. Don't think there is a way to get profile pics for the other contacts, but i might be wrong, there might be an app for that

3. willdude macrumors regular

I am also curious about this new setting, and am reluctant to turn on Facebook integration as I don't want any Contacts or Calendar events to sync. Is there some way of preventing them from syncing before first putting in your Facebook credentials? Or, when you put them in and they sync, if you disable that syncing afterwards, will it remove all the contacts and events it previously synced?

4. faizoff macrumors regular

I turned contacts and calendar off once i signed in to facebook through the settings screen.

5. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Just go to Facebook in Settings and turn off Contacts.

Download FaceSync if you want just pictures.

Not sure about direct messaging. I know there are apps to do it but not sure they add to contacts.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this. after you sync, right below is an option to turn off calendar and contacts.

7. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

They only add Facebook as a "group" they do not get sync'd with iCloud. Either turn off contacts in Facebook Settings or disable the group in Contacts. If you do the latter the stupid facebook email addresses will be attached to your contacts.

I just straight turned it off.

8. tburk32 macrumors member

I posted this in another thread but here you go.

I know this isn't the most time effective but I went through my contacts and did this manually. The way to trick the system to give you the updated contact picture (the current Facebook picture) is to put the person's @facebook.com email address in the contact information. If you don't know it (good chance you won't know anyones) just go to their Facebook page and it will be the last part after the / (i.e. /firstname.lastname) if there is a number after it include that and just put @facebook.com after it. I've even been able to do it for people that I am not friends on Facebook with. I have the Facebook contact sync turned off and if you go into your settings on the mac or iOS setting under Facebook turn off contact sync and select update all contact (iOS) or mail contacts & calendars - Facebook- update profile photos (in OSX Mountain Lion) and the photos should be populated. I wasn't able to get this to work for business pages (I don't know if there is a @facebook.com email associated with them or not. Hopefully this helps the people who really want it and are willing to spend a little bit of time to get what they want out of it. I was actually most impressed by the fact that I got pictures for people I wasn't even friends with on Facebook to show up.

9. trevorplease macrumors regular

So the first time i put in my facebook credentials it willl AUTOMATICALLY update my contacts and calendar with facebook's? Can I turn contacts and calendars off before ANY syncing occurs?