iOS 6 Future Update Question

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Buddygor, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Buddygor macrumors regular

Hey MacRumors!

So, I'm not a developer, but i simply updated to iOS 6 in iTunes (worked perfectly, perfectly legal :cool:). I am just wondering, since you have to update it in iTunes at first 5-to-6 upgrade so it doesn't activate and realize it isn't a registered developer device, will I be able to update to future betas from the Settings app? Or will it check if it's a registered device? I have tried it, it simply says "iOS 6 up to date", so I'm assuming it checks fine. Just to simplify my extensive rant :eek:, Can I update in the Settings app, on a un-developer registered iOS 6 device? Thanks! (Also, not to be mean, but I've heard enough of "Well, I don't know, but probably not", so please answer only if you actually know).

All respect,
    Noah
    :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. yaddam205 macrumors member

Yes, If you have a registered device.

Delta updates were available OTA with the iOS 5 BETA so this should be no different.

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Some of the updates in the iOS5 betas were OTA and some required iTunes.
    Most required iTunes if I remember.
    And almost all of the ones that required iTunes required betas of iTunes.
    Pretty much every new iOS beta had a corresponding iTunes beta.
    The process for iOS6 might be done entirely OTA but I highly doubt it.
    No one can tell you for sure what will happen because no one can tell for sure what Apple's going to do.

4. Buddygor thread starter macrumors regular

Umm...

You don't understand. I DON'T have a registered device, so I was wondering if it will still update. Thanks!

Noah
    :apple::apple::apple:

5. Gjwilly, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I do understand and that's why I said that no one can tell you.
    Apple might do OTA beta updates or they might not.
    They might do a UDID check on update or they might not.

I can tell you that the first beta of iOS5 was also installable by non-developer devices and Apple fixed it on the next beta.

I can also tell you that all betas expire and if you aren't able to update to the next beta you will end up with a locked device and will have to revert back to iOS5.

6. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

I thought you said in original post that you had a legal registered device :confused:

Without your device UUID being registered with Apple, how did u upgrade to iOS6 anyways ?

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

This first beta can be installed like any other update via iTunes and as long as you do use the Update rather than the Restore option it apparently skips the UDID check.

8. Major General macrumors member

Major General