iOS 6 GM - Due 12th Sept

desithugsr

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
assuming at least 2 weeks, but likely 3 (although there are plenty of forum responses showing significant amount of time before public releases).

I put money on the 27th.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
If Apple is on target to announce new iPhone on September 12 (which means GM will go out first week of September), there won't be enough room for another beta. All the past iOS releases had at least 1 month of code freeze internal beta before GM, as well as adding all the secret stuff for new hardware.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
It's almost always a month between final beta and GM, so we're on the last beta here folks whether or not you believe me.

That chart is inaccurate.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
It's almost always a month between final beta and GM, so we're on the last beta here folks whether or not you believe me.

That chart is inaccurate.
It's normally just OS bugs to fix though, with the all new Maps, iOS 6 is different.

There's still a few million errors correct yet. There's about 20 in my hometown alone.

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
It's normally just OS bugs to fix though, with the all new Maps, iOS 6 is different.

There's still a few million errors correct yet. There's about 20 in my hometown alone.
Maps and Siri are more server side features. They don't need to update iOS to roll out new map data.

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Maps and Siri are more server side features. They don't need to update iOS to roll out new map data.
No major changes have been made in between betas so far it seems. The latest 3D cities added with beta 4 are not viewable on beta 3, so some critical data must be past of the iOS update.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
No major changes have been made in between betas so far it seems. The latest 3D cities added with beta 4 are not viewable on beta 3, so some critical data must be past of the iOS update.
I don't think there are really any changes to the Maps app to support these city additions, but most likely Apple is versioning their server Maps API and updating the version URLs with the beta releases.

So, essentially, beta 4 is always looking at version 4 of the data on the server. Meanwhile, Apple developers are working on version 5 of the API, adding new cities, POIs, etc. When a new beta comes out, they point the app at a new version of the server API and start working on the next version. Eventually, when we get to a certain point, they'll push changes to whatever version the Maps app in iOS is pointing to, but for now they seem to be holding back changes while they develop.

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
I had a dream about it last night but was mislabeled Beta 2 on an iPhone 6 which is actually the 8th generation phone in which Apple is going against the norm and making an extremely wide triangle phone and will call it the iPhone z3 gen9 and someone was throwing pickles at me.

My dreams are hardly ever wrong!

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
i dont think the new phone is next month,
i think we still got another beta, maybe 2 before we hit GM.
theres still a decent amount of bugs floating around the OS.

we will see another beta this month, and one next month before the GM,
there is no way this is the final

xboxphanatic

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
I'll throw in my own prediction. :)

I think on the 27th we'll get beta 5.

Sept. 12 we'll have the event where the new iPhone will be announced and developers will get the GM build that day.

Sept. 19th iOS 6 will be released to the public and on the 21st the New iPhone will be released.

This is completely based on if the Sept. 12th rumor turns out to be true. Also based on previous iOS beta schedules with the exception of iOS5 as that release also required time to get several online services(iCloud and iTunes Match) ready at the same time.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I had a dream about it last night but was mislabeled Beta 2 on an iPhone 6 which is actually the 8th generation phone in which Apple is going against the norm and making an extremely wide triangle phone and will call it the iPhone z3 gen9 and someone was throwing pickles at me.

My dreams are hardly ever wrong!
LSD sounds fun! :D