iOS 6 GM icloud backup to restore to iphone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dave8209, Aug 31, 2012.

1. dave8209 macrumors member

dave8209

When the iPhone 5 comes out I plan to get it the day it comes out. Will it be safe to restore from iCloud backup that will be made on my 4s running the GM to my new iPhone 5?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Personally I always set up as a new device. I restored once and had battery issues so I've always stuck with just slapping in my mobile me address and going with that!

3. Pirate515 macrumors member

Yes, that is the whole point of iCloud. Starting with iOS 5, whenever you power up a new phone, it asks you if you want to set it up as new phone or restore a previously backed up phone. The backup remembers your phone settings, call/text history and a list of apps installed. Once the settings are re-applied, the phone will start re-downloading all the apps that were installed on your backed up phone. You may need to manually copy all your music. Although if you have iTunes Match, it will automatically pop up on your new phone.

4. dave8209 thread starter macrumors member

dave8209

I know but seeing that it is a GM and a beta, what it be safe?

5. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I'll probably make a backup through iTunes and try a restore locally.. If I have battery issues I may just set up as new. Honestly, I haven't given this much thought... I may decide to start off fresh with setting up as new lol :D