iOS 6 Ipad 3 Battery Issues???!?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richpuer, Sep 20, 2012.

1. richpuer macrumors 6502

So i upgraded last night and fully charged the battery.

Now im finding it draining fast while doing exactly what i do with it everyday.

I haven't done anything different this morning. I even turned down the brightness from 70% to 50% and the battery is dying at a faster rate.

every morning i turn on the ipad with 100% charge at 6am and leave the journal on. i dont let it sleep its always on for quicker access. at about 8am, without any use, im usually at 98% still and thats constant on without use.

This morning I turned it on same time and 30 mins later, my charge went from 99% to 95%. This is off. Did i not install it correctly? Any suggesstions? i dont want to reset the whole thing and lose all my data

2. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Non-scientifically I have the feeling that my iPad2 with iOS6 on it since last night is also draining the battery at a faster rate than normal. We would need someone to do a real scientific test to prove this , but for now, I agree with you!

3. richpuer thread starter macrumors 6502

i just lost 8% in just under an hour now...ive just left it on without doing anything..just monitoring it...no downloading or anything...just on wifi as usual.

def not normal from what ive observed since using it the same way since launch

4. discovert3 macrumors newbie

im tired of turning bluetooth, turning off wifi on and off

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'm so glad I did not update my iPad 2 and 3. Would not be surprised of iOS 6 battery issues especially with the battery problems relating to ML. :p

6. LanEvo macrumors 6502

I updated the iPad 2 last night, no problems here, wifi has some shady problems yesterday but connected and it just fine now. I started with 63% this morning, at 50% right now after some light browsing.

7. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I'm a recent iPad 3 owner and my initial impression of iOS 6 was that I was having slightly better battery life with it...

I know these threads are highly anecdotal and tend to ping-pong between yes it is/no it isn't responses. It's too early for me to give a completely accurate impression as I only updated early yesterday morning but the iPad had some moderate use throughout the day and it seemed to be holding up quite well.

8. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

iPad 2 and it seems to be draining battery a lot faster since upgrade :confused:

9. dchao macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting your battery concern here.

Together with the missing StreetView, I think I am going to hold off the upgrade.

10. The Bogeyman macrumors regular

The Bogeyman

I've not noticed any difference in battery life for better or worse.

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Not having the same problems and loving IOS6:rolleyes:

12. Kaiser99 macrumors member

OP Isn't it nice of all people to post and tell you they aren't having any trouble you must be really pleased for them.

Anyway, I have not upgraded to ios6 as I'm jail broken and think my tweaks are worth more than the ios6 upgrade. What I noticed when I jailbroke was the same as you are having for the upgrade massive battery loss. I read through some threads on here and found running the battery down until it iPad turns itself off then charging it to 100%, this recalibrates the battery meter, once i did this I had much better battery life out of my ipad, give it a try. Further reading shows apple advise you should do this once a month for good measure.

I also downloaded caret from the app store, it's free and can point out different apps at are likely killing your battery.

Hope ts helps.

13. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Due to the way these batteries work, your iPad has absolutely no idea how much charge it has left. All it knows it when it's full and when it's empty. Based an adaptive algorithm it displays a percentage, knowing that if you have the screen at say, 80% and have been using moderate CPU the battery will probably have drained by X percent.
    It's likely something got reset in this algorithm, just use the iPad as normal until it drains completely and turns off, and then fully recharge. No need to panic.

It could also be that the new OS uses more system resources (it probably does) but that effect will be small, and is the price you pay for more features (like turning on the aircon in tour car use more fuel)

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My iPad [3] is working just fine and the battery isn't draining any quicker than before the upgrade. One thing I found, usually on my iPhone, is after the update, let the battery drain down to 15-20% and then turn the device complete off for a few minutes, then turn it on and allow it to charge back up. That seems to take care of my battery issues.

15. Jonw123 macrumors newbie

Anecdotal data...but my battery drain has accelerated with IOS 6

I know this is anecdotal...but I have noticed that my battery is draining about 15% faster since upgrading to IOS 6. Pretty easy for me to notice because my iPad use is about the same every day.

16. richpuer thread starter macrumors 6502

last night i did a full charge and started surfing the web on wifi. after 25 min i lost 5%. i said screw it and reverted back to 5.1.1.

using it this morning right now and ive left it on running the whole time on my desk for 1.5 hrs and im still at 100%....FOR SURE there is an issue with this release, for me at least. im happy to go back to old os. battery life crucial for me as i travel for work with ipad

17. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Is this an iPad 3? it's very likely it wasn't actually fully charged, the indicator just said it was. Don't be an ipadcondriac ;-)

18. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Does anyone notice it stays on 100% for the longest time then drains quickly?

19. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

20. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

50 %

It says that I've used my iPad for 6 hours and 3 minutes. I have 60 % left :)

21. meatballs macrumors 6502

22. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

23. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Siri drains batteries even if you don't use it?

24. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

That's just the righthand snip of the screen capture.