iOS 6 keyboard more accurate?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sunking101, Feb 17, 2014.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I don't know whether this is all in my head but I seem to make a lot more mistakes with the iOS7 keyboard. I've been thinking that for a while and just typed something on an app which hasn't been updated (ie it still uses the old keyboard) and I made zero mistakes.

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yeah I've noticed the same thing. Odd.

3. af21187 macrumors 6502

4. Shuri macrumors 6502

For me it's the other way round; on Google Hangouts I seem to make a lot more mistakes than with the stock message app. But then again I guess the whole thing is only in our heads, because both share the same engine with another look.

5. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

How do we know that they share the same engine? I'm not denying that they do but where is the proof?

6. Shuri macrumors 6502

I'm not 100% sure, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think iOS 6 didn't correct words after a second one has been written, whereas iOS 7 does. (So out of the context it tries to guess the right word)

And in google hangouts it does it the new way.

I know this is not evidence that they share the same engine, but it'd be odd for apple just to implement single aspects in the old keyboard.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's definitely a difference. Hard to say if it's just the slightly different look/feel, perhaps slightly different touch areas/boundaries for recognition of different keys, or perhaps a somewhat different autocorrect--likely a combination of them all to one degree or another.

8. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

I have never used autocorrect so my take on the two keyboards is purely to do with physical accuracy. I seem to make more mistakes by hitting the key next to the one I'm aiming for and as a seasoned iPhone typer this is alarming. We all make mistakes with touchscreen keyboards from time to time but I make a hell of a lot more since iOS7 came along.

9. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

question. Are most of you on an iphone 5 or 5s? I ask this b.c I noticed the difference in accuracy once I switched from the 4s to the 5, and not ios7. I felt it had something to do with the new resolution.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

There was some slight difference with that too, but I've also used iOS 6 on iPhone 5 for months before going to iOS 7 and noticed a difference there.

12. gmhag macrumors regular

I'm still using an iPhone 4S and noticed a huge difference switching from iOS6 to iOS7. So many more errors per sentence. I had almost gotten to the point where I could look away while typing and have minimal errors on iOS6. Now on iOS7 I have to concentrate on the screen and am still making tons of errors. So I dont think it is a hardware issue.