iOS 6 leads to first ever drop in satisfaction

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by onthecouchagain, Sep 26, 2012.

1. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

iOS6 has made my iPhone 4S better than ever!! I'm extremely satisfied!

2. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I think the point is, Apple is stagnating and people (few as it may be) are starting to catch on. Josh Topolsky, for the first time ever, discusses it in length the shortcomings that are beginning to show in iOS in his Verge review in the Software section. I think what he brings up are very much on point.

Other tech sites have as well. This is from Cult of Mac: http://www.cultofmac.com/192496/the-iphone-5-is-incredible-but-ios-6-is-holding-it-back-opinion/ "The iPhone 5 Is Incredible, But iOS 6 Is Holding It Back"

A shift is happening, small though it may be. I hope Apple is listening.

3. pvq macrumors newbie

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

I think iOS 7 is going to be huge.

Minor Hardware upgrade for 5S
    Major Software upgrade for iOS 7.

5. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Yes, that is interesting, as I'm pretty satisfied, and its better than previous iOS versions.

6. Appleseeds macrumors regular

I find it fine. Like another poster said it has improved my 4S.
    This small group of people are simply believing what they have read and been told about the maps app.
    The maps app is not awful, as some would have you believe.
    And as apple has stated it will only get better with time.

7. ah123 macrumors regular

This has been said for nearly all of the recent iOS releases. "The next one will be big..." but it never materialises. Though I hope you're right!

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

This is EXACTLY what I think, too. While I don't have the iPhone 5, I do have the 4S, and while iOS 6 has made it better, there's no doubt in my mind that it's the software holding back the hardware at this point.

Do I believe Apple is going to collapse over the course of the next year or two? Of course not. But this is how the slow/steady decline happens to gigantic corporations. If Apple wants to retain it's place in the Pantheon of companies, they need to start looking at improving/evolving the software.

Does iOS6 work? Yes. Is it stale and boring and too limiting? Absolutely.

9. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

But that's not the point though. If you read the article that you posted, most people said it was due to maps. Apart from the tech savvy people he majority of users don't think iOS is stagnating. This argument is getting boring now.

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

Does this mean Copland mobile edition is coming?

11. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

There's probably a Marklar somewhere too. You know, for Intel Atom :D

12. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

You mean the argument for Apple to make even more improvements, some of which you and others would undoubtedly benefit from? That argument?

There are some of us here that think that argument is important. Some may not. But I don't understand why anyone would argue against raising the standards for Apple.

13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

We already have elements of the old High Tech theme showing up around the iPhone.

14. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I am for the most part very happy with IOS6. My 4s seems to run a bit better. Sure the maps aren't what they might be but I'll give Apple some time to fix especially since I'm not dependent on iPhone maps.
    It is very hard, over time, to keep inovating at the same rate. Sure there are things that could be improved and fixed but franky the huge call for a new UI wouldn't be a huge leap in smart phone technology.
    A lot of what could cause more excitement is applications taking advantage of new and improved features but that also takes time and won't happen all at once at launch day.

15. Macist macrumors 6502a

Obvious Apple Maps is a horror show, a huge step backwards.

However, when people say iOS is stale and you ask them what they'd like to see they merely mumble something about 'widgets' and 'customisation'. They just seem to want some eye-candy.

I couldn't care less about eye-candy. It's annoying that you have to plough into Settings to do basic toggles without a Jailbreak. But generally iOS is still, for me, a slicker experience than Android.

16. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The issue for me is that iOS is so simple that it's actually limiting, that it actually hinders usability. And so yes, while Widgets (which I think are actually pretty overrated) might seem like eye-candy, they actually can make a device more usable by granting easier access to settings, toggles, information, actions, etc..

Josh Topolsky from The Verge really nailed it in the Software section of his review when he said "Apple is still making users jump through hoops to perform simple tasks, like switching to a private browsing window or clearing the cache in Safari. It takes no less than six button presses and home key taps to make that happen while browsing."

----------

If the Calendar icon can update every day with the right date, why can't the weather icon update with the right temperature?

17. JupiterDoc macrumors member

iOS 6 is great & has tremendous potential with Passbook. I have a 4S & I am glad I did the upgrade. My wife has the 5 & she loves iOS 6.