iOS 6 & letter boxing apps on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by daveishere, Sep 30, 2012.

1. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I think Apple have made a big design mistake with the way letter boxed apps are handled on iPhone 5 & iOS 6.

The problem I believe comes from the fact that the black banding appears both at the top and bottom of the screen.

What this does is create a difference in keyboard positioning between apps that are letterboxed and apps that have been updated for the taller screen.

I am, in fact, typing this via tapatalk on the iPhone 5, which is letterboxed. When I go back to a native iPhone 5 app, I will have slight problems adapting to the keyboard positioning.

Anyone else think this is a design problem?

2. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Good point, but I guess Apple are assuming, quite rightly, that any software developer worth their salt will update their app sooner rather than later

3. daveishere thread starter macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Hopefully the tall screen updates start flowing through / getting approved next week. Easy solution would of been to have a big ass Black band at the top of the screen and therefore leave keyboard positioning inaffected.

4. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Some developers don't seem to be in too much of a rush. eBay said the app won't support iPhone 5 screen until November.

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

The keyboard position is the same in updates and letterboxed apps, isn't it? On my phone it stretches across the entire screen - even the letterbox sidebars:

[​IMG]

Edit: Oh, I see. In portrait view the keyboard isn't at the bottom of the screen but at the bottom of the letterboxed app view. I don't think it's a huge deal but yeah, it should probably be consistent.

6. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

The assumption is: most developers will upgrade their apps soon. And this is good for developers as well. So I think your problem will go away soon, as long as the developer is responsible and fast in updating their apps.

7. daveishere thread starter macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Booo, I use the eBay app a fair bit an was hoping for a full screen update as soon as that.

And yeah, reading my original post, i've been using both updated and letterboxed apps all day today with the iOS keyboard. It's definitely an annoyance for me, and in particular i think the letterboxed keyboard is a tad too high to comfortably be able to reach top-row letters and numbers.

regarding the landscape screenshot posted as well, i think its a bit of a half-job that Apple didn't fully re-design the keyboard to make use of the iphone 5's added width. Although the empty real estate each side of the WS keyboard is only tiny, this could make a massive difference if you use it a lot if each key was a pixel or two bigger.