iOS 6 Limited Sound Functionality

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cjbreisch, Sep 20, 2012.

1. cjbreisch, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

cjbreisch macrumors newbie

What works:
    Siri - I can hear her just fine. She can hear me.
    Adjusting the "Ringer and Alerts" volume slider under Settings/Sounds. When I slide it up and down, I get a "bing" sound at various volume levels.

What doesn't work:
    Everything else.

I have no audio in iTunes. No alert sounds play. There is no slider for volume in the multitasking bar. When I attempt to adjust the volume up or down using the volume rocker buttons, nothing happens. I don't even get a popup showing me the volume level.

I have the Side Switch set to Mute, and that does appear to work. I get the nice Mute/Un-mute popup, but again no sounds. Changing the Side Switch setting to Lock Rotation doesn't help either, although it does successfully change the Side Switch to Lock Rotation. :)

I get the feeling that I'm missing something rather obvious and that I should show this to my 8 year old and she'd have it fixed in about 2 minutes.

Help?

[Edit: I'm using "the new iPad"...forgot to mention that]

2. jparisi macrumors newbie

Im having the exact same problem with a 4S. When I look at the output source, the phone thinks something is connected to the dock connector for sound output.

3. cjbreisch thread starter macrumors newbie

Oddly, mine is now working fine. I did the upgrade at work, and when I took my iPad home, it started working. Returned to work and it works there also.

I had suspected it might have had something to do with some Bluetooth headphones that I had at work, but turning off Bluetooth didn't help.

Not sure what the problem was, but it seems to have corrected itself.

Oh, I had noticed (when it wasn't working) that if I plugged speakers/headphones into the headphone jack, then audio worked fine.

4. LoFiLoTek macrumors newbie

Apps and Sound Levels

From my understanding with my phone, the apps are no longer sound independent from the OS. It used to be that if I turned down an app it would not affect system wide volume, but in iOs 6 that is not that case. Its a bit annoying but I have found by going to my apps, example Angry Birds, and turn the volume back up on the app it fixes the over all system volume. Kind of crappy because if you use the volume controls it will say its at full volume. Check your apps. Oh and even if the app isnt "running", ie double tapping home and open, it still sets volume levels. This is why a full reboot works, because it fully shuts down the apps in some cases.

Hope this helps.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

This usually happens if something is shorting out a couple of pins in the dock connector - it's usually liquid, but I've seen non-damaged phones have something stuck in there causing it.

Cleaning the dock with some compressed air and a thin paintbrush will usually resolve it :).