Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Is it just me, or did the iOS 6 version of the mail app remove the "continue searching on server" option when a search of downloaded emails doesn't return the desired results. I used that option a lot in iOS 5 to find older emails that were no longer synced onto the device.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding this, I would love to hear them.
Thanks.

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
it shows up for me at the bottom of search results.

Do you use pop or imap? gmail?
I'm wondering if this option is only available for imap or exchange/google?

At the moment, I'm using pop only (not google).

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Do you use pop or imap? gmail?
I'm wondering if this option is only available for imap or exchange/google?

At the moment, I'm using pop only (not google).

Can you "search on server" with your POP only accounts, or just imap?

When I had gmail imap, I had this option. Now that I no longer use gmail, and I only have traditional pop, and don't see this option anymore.

Thoughts?

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
In testing on my in iOS 6, I've ound it to do the search automatic on imap and exchange. No more button to push just at the bottom of the results it shows in light grey checking server. I didn't have anything pop up on my pop3 account.

RedYeti

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
In case it helps someone else; to see "Continue Search on Server" you may need to be looking at All Mail or Sent.

Just searching the Inbox wont offer the option if you've actually got all the emails which are in the Inbox already downloaded to the device (in the case that you archive older messages).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.