iOS 6 Map damage control?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MDiddy, Sep 22, 2012.

1. MDiddy macrumors regular

MDiddy

Is this some form of damage control on apple's part? Just got this popup in maps.

Attached Files:

2. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

I think that's a pretty standard disclaimer for any mapping/navigation app.

3. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

I think it's more a safety warning to avoid idiots trying to sue Apple when they have a crash while driving because they were looking at the app rather than the road ahead.

4. dazed macrumors 6502a

This will be a grey area for some lawyers. Using your phone while driving is illegal in most places but you can use navigation without issue. So navigation on a phone??

I'm waiting for the first "I wasn't texting while driving, I was navigating"

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

A lot of places have laws against "distracted driving" or something similar though.

6. 0007776 Suspended

Google gives disclaimers like that as well. From the bottom of a google maps search:
    Apple is just making the disclaimer a little more obvious which I believe most turn by turn navigation devices do.

7. MDiddy thread starter macrumors regular

MDiddy

It was just strange to me that it popped up. I was just sitting at home using the maps app to find the closest AT&T or Verizon store so I could check out cases.

I wasn't driving and it wasn't the first time I opened the app. Just seemed to arbitrarily appear and my first thought was maybe they added it in response to all the bad press they've had

8. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I downloaded iOS 6 as soon as it came out and I also had this pop up. That was before the bad press, so no, nothing to do with that.

Just a side note, mine was blue, not green like yours.

Attached Files:

9. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

It's a standard disclaimer. Some idiots have literally ran off a cliff and blamed their navigation software. LOL.

10. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Well, in most cases if you fight it, they just get your texting records and see if you were texting at the reported time.