iOS 6 maps circa 1889

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Eric L, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Eric L macrumors member

Nice job Apple! You labeled the town of Walford, Iowa as Terry, Iowa. The town of Terry officially changed its name to Walford on Nov 11, 1889! (If you search for Walford, it takes you to the right place, but the label is Terry.) What the f...........

2. lepeos macrumors member

Well the only person searching for it seems to recognise the inconsistency so we're all good

3. craznar macrumors regular

A calculator that is correct 99% of the time, is not only useless for the 1% of the time - but for 100% of the time.

4. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

iOS 6.0.1 Update Changelog:

- Changed Terry, IA to Walford, IA

I heard they're going to push the update ASAP. ;)

Regards,
    Tom

5. Eric L thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I agree it's totally insignificant but it makes one wonder how in they managed that one. Where did they get their map information?

6. angieutc macrumors newbie

I nearly peed myself!! Greatest reply ever!!!!

7. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

According to Wikipedia, the population was 1,463 in 2010. Maybe the postmaster/mayor/police chief/fire chief/city councilman forgot to mail in the forms? :confused:

8. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

Laugh it off as trivial, but it is embarrassing. TomTom's data is notoriously bad and as a result, now so is Apple's.

Apple being the company they are most people will brush it off, but giving away competitive advantage little by little to your competitors is generally not a recipe for long-term success. Eventually the pack will over take you.

9. angieutc macrumors newbie

Stop it! Stop it! LMAO! I still can't catch my breath from the update joke. Classic! Just classic. I looooove witty people

10. MacintoshMan macrumors regular

Mine shows both. If you zoom out it says walford, if you're real close it says terry. Both searches come up for the right location.

11. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

So even though the Maps app labels everything in my area correctly, it is useless to me because a town somewhere else is mislabeled?

It's unfortunate that these kind of errors are persisting now that iOS 6 has been made public, and I know for some, the new Maps app is a huge step backwards. But for me, it's been perfectly fine. Point is, it's a mixed bag.

12. matttye macrumors 601

Shocking in my area. I was initially swayed because of how pretty they are, but they're like a blonde airhead..pretty with no substance.

Pois missing, pois in the wrong place, tube stations look the same as train stations. Just awful.

13. craznar macrumors regular

Maps are generally used for people who don't know the result, that is sort of like arguing that because my calculator shows 3+3 = 7, it is fine because I know 3+3 = 6.

That is - you only know the bits that are correct because you already know them, so the maps aren't needed there - and the bits you don't know, you can't trust maps for because you don't know which bits are correct.

14. Scott006 macrumors member

I think if apple declared that 3+3 = 7 then there would be people on this forum who would enthusiastically defend them and tell everyone who thinks differently to get an android phone.

15. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Very good point. In my normal usage of the Maps app, I can recognize locations and streets on the map, but I might simply want a better route. Stuff like that. I really didn't put myself in the shoes of someone who has no prior knowledge of an area (I need to travel more...), so thanks for pointing that out to me!

Declaring "3+3=7" is far different from declaring "We have the most advanced smartphone". You can debate about the later, the former is factually incorrect. And really, when somebody is visibly and irreversibly upset with Apple, why not recommend an Android phone to them? It's like swimming in a pool and complaining about being wet. You don't wanna get wet? Get out of the pool.