iOS 6 Maps on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Tom2893, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Tom2893 macrumors 6502

Tom2893

No 3D on iPhone 4? Let down.. Could easily be on there & Apple please get Dubai on 3D! Burj Khalifa would look awesome

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone 4's GPU isn't powerful enough to drive the 3D maps. While the 3Gs could do it well if it was enabled on it.

3. Tom2893 thread starter macrumors 6502

Tom2893

How can the 3GS have a better GPU than the 4?

4. skyehigh macrumors member

3d maps are useless , street view should have been priority.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 3Gs and the 4 have the same GPU. But the 4's has to drive many more pixels. If the resolution of a screen is smaller, a GPU will be able to drive the screen faster than a larger resolution. Just like playing a computer based game. If you're getting slow framerates, turn the resolution down and the framerates will very likely go up.

6. mrial macrumors regular

The standard map is really pretty awesome and very fast. While doing a side by side comparison with a google map on a droid while traveling though Chicago, the Apple map was at least 5 times faster ... especially when zooming in and out. The vector maps are so much faster zooming and downloading. The Traffic congestion shown with red lines were dynamic (changed in real time) and very accurate.

Integration with Siri is cool ... I just tell Sire "get me directions to ...." and boom, it starts turn-by-turn (no need to take my eyes off the road).

The Satellite view improved dramatically with beta 3 to the point I couldn't see the difference with google maps in my area (Minneapolis/ Saint Paul) but no 3D for here yet. Looked at 3D for Portland,OR and it was almost surreal in the way you could move around buildings, very cool.

Public Transit not showing anything yet. I believe Apple with pass your location to 3rd party routing apps which may be better in the long run ... rather than relying on each transit to pass accurate info to google. I'm sure this will rapidly develop.