iPhone iOS 6 on 3GS, should I?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by mcooke, Sep 19, 2012.

1. mcooke macrumors member

I know I saw one on here that is about the 3GS but nothing helped me on that post.. So, I'd like to ask a few questions. I read up on the update and it says nothing about improvements for the 3GS, just says it works on it. I am wondering if my 3GS is gonna run like crap. I remember when I had the 3G, and the iPhone 4 came out, with multitasking and all this stuff I couldn't do on my 3G. The update made all the other phones but not the 3G faster. It ruined the phone and it ran like crap because it had a lot of unnecessary space taken up. The update for iOS 6 takes 2 GB, I got a flashback of before when I deleted a bunch of stuff off of my 3G to download that update and I wish I hadn't....
    So, to wrap this up (sorry about my rant) I would like to know what it is like on the 3GS, to all my people who can't afford the new ones :( to let me know if it's even worth it...
    Thanks! :)

2. mcooke thread starter macrumors member

I have been looking through all of them! I was actually just about to reply to you in the last comment of http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1406697&page=3 because of your quirky thing saying if you're a MacRumors newbie you will disregard the post.
    Just haven't found what I am looking for in it. I'm gonna wait a few days and see how it goes. Almost every update runs fine at first, but with the older phones they seem to slow down after daily usage with the new update. Just don't wanna ruin my 3GS. I don't think you can go back on updates....

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

You can't downgrade at least from what I am aware of. I am also looking to see how iOS 6 will run on the 3GS. My dad is debating whether or not to upgrade.

4. mcooke thread starter macrumors member

If its anything like the 3.1.1, I will not do it... but then again that was on my 3G. I would tell him to wait a few days if the 3GS is his daily phone, and see what others are saying then. It might run awesome today because of the fresh reboot clearing of the cache, every things almost new. but you never know how the phone will handle it tomorrow.

5. dba415 macrumors 6502

Honestly I would just upgrade. The new features like full screen safari and photo editing and DND mode are probably worth it.

I don't think it's going to be as bad as ios3 or whatever it was for the iPhone 3G. Apple learned its lesson.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

What's DND mode?

7. jnmiah macrumors member

do not disturb.

8. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

All good features but if the phone is unusable they're pointless.

9. mcooke thread starter macrumors member

What is the DND for?

10. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

From Apple

11. mcooke thread starter macrumors member

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have it installed on my old 3GS and it seems to work just fine. It doesn't seem any slower, in fact it seems a little faster.

I say go for it.

13. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I will second this, I've had it on my 3gs for like4-5 days and it's speed has improved very much. I no longer feel like throwing it through a window. It should get me through nicely until my upgrade next month. I also say go for it.