iOS 6 on a home button-less iPad 3.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DrDMC, Feb 5, 2012.

1. DrDMC macrumors newbie

Multitasking.jpg
    Swipe down to reveal the new menu which includes the notification centre, spotlight, multitasking try. You can also swipe to the right on the multitasking tray to display playback controls, brightness slider, mute button, and quick access bluetooth/wifi/3G/whateveryouwant switches.

Does anybody think this 'all-in-one' concept makes more sense than the current [double click home button/ swipe down / push home button then swipe to the right] method of getting to these 3 commonly accessed menus?

Due of the exclusion of home button, getting to the home screen would simply require swiping up on any application.

2. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

What would you do if an app quit responding while the user interface was disabled. Tapatalk freezes every now and then while loading a page, and I can't even use the multitasking gestures to get out of it.

3. DrDMC thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know much about OS architecture, but if OSX can continue to respond when a single app freezes up, surely they can do the same for IOS without requiring a hardwired 'quit' button. Maybe the gesture and app UI processes aren't separated from one another in IOS 5, and could be in future.

IDK, maybe holding the volume up and sleep buttons together could function as a force quit command.

4. liqourmaster macrumors newbie

I'm a bit of a noob too but what would you do with the extra space then?

Some options I could think of are:
    1. more screen space
    2. more battery
    3. make ipad smaller & lighter

I think it's an awesome idea since there are multi-touch gestures that can do all that the home button can do and more.

5. number84 macrumors 6502

the fewer buttons the better. i seem to always hear about home buttons dying after extended use.

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I never use my home button, except for Siri. I use swipe gestures for everything, but that is one of the advantages of jailbreaking.

Double tap the status bar to put phone into sleep mode, swipe right on the status bar to bring up sbsettings, hold down volume button for half a second to close all apps, swipe up from the bottom to activate app switcher, and so on. No need to ever use the home button, except for Siri.

7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

On iOS 5', I can already get to the home screen by 4 finger pinch. I can get to the multitask screen with 4 finger swipe up.

If I understand you correctly, most of what you are asking for is already there?

8. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I prefer choosing my own mappings for these things via Activator - I think the full screen concept is an interesting one, but I think the mappings should be configurable (just as you can change what key activates Expose or Spaces on a Mac).

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I could see a capacitive home button, sort of like on the webOS devices. One tap acts like the old home button, and you could swipe up, down, left, and right on it to activate the same things as the multitasking gestures.

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

No thanks - accident brush and you're kicked back to the home screen!

But the screenshot mockup in the OP looks amazing. I hope someone at Apple sees that and rips it off!

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Just needs a timer, exactly like the Caps Lock key on Apple keyboards.

12. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I was given a Kindle Fire recently and I really don't enjoy not having a dedicated home button, like on my iPad 2. Before I got the Fire, I also thought not having a home button would be better, but now I've realized that it's actually VERY practical. Another thing that I dislike about the Fire is the lack of volume buttons. That just doesn't even make sense to me.

13. number84 macrumors 6502

did you just copy and paste my post from earlier?!?! :confused: