iOS 6 on iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by TitanTiger, Sep 19, 2012.

1. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

So, any guinea pigs downloaded this to your 3GS care to share your experience so far? I'm still on 4.3.3 and I'm mostly concerned about it becoming crazy slow.

2. DGOJG macrumors newbie

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

4. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

Upgraded my 3GS from 5.1.1, no regrets. It runs the same as iOS 5. Pretty slow (compared to iPhone 4S/5), but not worse than before. Definitely usable.

5. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you recall if iOS 5 seemed slower than 4.3.x (significantly)?

6. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I upgraded about 4 days ago and on my 3gs, not saying yours won't be different, has been amazing. When my phone hasn't been rebooted for awhile it would normally take 10 seconds for my messages app to open. Since upgrading it takes a normal amount of time. Seemed to actually speed up my phone a fair amount. To me it was an extremely worthwhile upgrade.

My upgrade date is October 13th, so I can't get the 5 until then, so it's nice to be back to a phone I'm not tempted to throw through a window.

7. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

I recall it seemed a little faster at first, but that was probably due to a fresh reboot.

I think in the long run it got a little slower, but probably not significantly so.

Overall the 3GS is pretty snappy, but every now and then it tends to freeze for like 5 seconds doing something trivial, then it's back to being more or less okay.

iOS 4 added multitasking which is a bigger deal for performance. iOS 5 and 6 don't really have such significant performance-related changes.