iOS 6 on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by CallOfDuty, Jun 23, 2012.

1. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Just wondering. Does anyone here have any idea how iOS 6 on the iPhone 4 is like? I know about the removal of some iOS 6 features like turn by turn navigations and things like that, But I just want to know whether there is any SIGNIFICANT performance improvements?

Does the UI performance on the iPhone 4 become much more smoother? I mean, the UI performance on iOS 4 is terrible and iOS 5 fixed A LITTLE. :mad: However, the UI animations still lags alot. Especially if your home screen is full of apps: When you exit an app, it goes back to the home screen and I would usually encounter a slight stutter in terms of UI experience. What I'm wanting to know is whether the UI is much more stable and fluid. Oh yeah, when exiting big apps like huge 3D games like Fifa 12 it lags alot, in terms of the UI.

To me, the UI performance means everything - it determines how smooth your device is going to be.
    Fyi, I'm not a developer, just a curious consumer.

Any ideas? A video would be great! ;)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The UI lag on the iPhone 4 may never be fixed. It has a very underpowered GPU for its screen resolution.

3. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

I know. The iPhone 4 has almost 4 times the pixels to drive and yet it has only a slight CPU and GPU bump than the 3GS. Sometimes I just kind of regret buying the iPhone 4 and should have waited for the 4S!
    I'm not trying to pick out the flaws of the iPhone 4- I love it, but there are some things I just don't really like and sometimes just puts me off using it.
    Its terrible considering that the 3GS does better UI performance than the iphone 4 considering the iPhone 4 is considered a much newer device than the 3GS.

Actually, the driving force behind this post is pretty petty- my friend with a 3GS asked me Hey why is ur iPhone 4 lagging like %^&* and this totally pissed me off when he started saying even his 3GS is better than the 4. Oh well. :(

Besides that, just someone curious here. Anybody with any ideas?

4. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Stop complaining about lag on 2 year old devices!

Upgrade your phone and you'll be happy!

Your contract expires anyway so you'll be able to buy the new iphone on contract!

5. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

Holding out and waiting for the 5 (or the new iPhone perhaps?) :)
    In another case, I have to admit: I am complaining. But aside from the complaining I'm also curious whether iOS 6 solves the problem.
    And I have a one year contract to be honest. Just wanting to spend my hard earned money on a newer device that is slated to be coming out soon.

6. aixiurong, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

aixiurong macrumors newbie

I've been using the iOS 6 beta on my iPhone 4 for about a week. As far as the viscosity of the UI it's actually surprisingly fluid, more so than on 5.1.1 (jailbroken). Maps hasn't crashed on me and I've used it more than a couple of times. By far the biggest problem I've faced is downloading apps from the app store and WiFi connectivity. When downloading from the appstore 75% of the time the apps display an "Unable to Download Application" error halfway through the download. After that it's impossible to download that particular app without it displaying that message, Yet other apps downloaded fine. Pertaining to WiFi, I've noticed a signifigant decrease in range, I've had to go right up to our router just to get connectivity and if I leave the room I lose connectivity.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

8. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Scary. Does that mean the 4S barely has enough GPU power to handle the resolution?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone 3Gs and the iPhone 4 have the same GPU. In the 3Gs it is powerful. The iPhone 4S has a newer faster dual core GPU that is currently the most powerful in a mobile phone.

10. kiwiboi87 macrumors 6502

iv been running iOS 6, for over a week now
    seems to be working fine

run into some lag every now and then, but noting to major that makes me regret using the beta.

and thats the thing to keep in mind, it's a beta.

no issues with maps or stores,
    some issues with the music app, but not anything major.

battery usage, seems to spike sometimes. some days its better then 5.1.1
    others its worse,

11. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

I see! So iOS 6 on the iPhone 4 is indeed good!
    There was once I was tempted to try out iOS 6 myself illegally, but I realized its not respecting the developers, so I decided not to do it. Can't wait for iOS 6 though.

12. aixiurong macrumors newbie

Yeah, by the time they push it out to everyone, UI issues should be negligible. I don't really see any malicious intent in acquiring the beta "unofficially". It could inspire you to actually become a developer. I think if you really want to test it out give it a whirl. Alot of other developers get irritated because they payed and the others didn't, but I feel those developers really have to understand what they're paying for it's not like those who get a copy without being a developer can submit apps to the app store or anything that directly affects them. The amount of chastisement people get for asking for help without being a developer on here in my opinion is kinda out of hand.

13. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

It might seem okay to others , but to me , If anything else I do affects somebody else , particularly if it's against Apple's own TOU, I wouldn't want to try it myself.

I'm actually sort of interested to become a developer. But I just don't have the knowledge to do so. I don't even have the knowledge on how code. So no technical background here.
    Anyway , I have heard many instances of people stuck on ios 6 beta 1 , people who arent developers. So it's best I shall stay away from it until its released. And yes , I don't see the point in rubbing it on their faces and telling them they deserved it. Isn't it priority to help them in solving their downgrade back to os 5 case first ? Well I guess beta 2 will definitely fix any loopholes.

14. John Adams macrumors regular

"A lot" is two words.

Sorry, but I'm on a mission.

15. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

My UI lags on my iPad 3. It's because it's in beta.

If you think about it, there is nothing exceptionally graphically demanding about the iOS 6 update compared to iOS 5.

I wouldn't expect lag to be honest, but expect a not as fluid experience as if you were using a newer handset.

And I support the "it's time to upgrade crew". You're lucky you are getting an update at all, compared to every other non-Apple smartphone that is getting shafted for support.

16. aixiurong macrumors newbie

noted*.

I think it would be smart if apple correlates there support of older devices to the two year agreement plans on networks. Stopping support for a device somewhere in the middle of the fiscal year two years after the release of the device.

17. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

It's a 2 year old phone running software the hardware wasn't designed for. What do you expect? Just upgrade to the 5 when it's out.

Ant

18. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes , ill definitely be the first to preorder or queue up at the Verizon stores when it comes out . I'll buy 2 in fact , one for my wife then other for myself.
    Although I am pissed , I'm actually cool about this. I don't really expect much from a 2 year old device but it surprises me how sometimes a 3 year old device can run better.
    Yes , I am complaining, but I'm also more curious whether iOS 6 really fix this problem. If I really wanted to rant I would have gone to apple or something !

19. PJ. macrumors regular

Yes the 4 is two years old but the OP has said it never had a great UI and iOS 5 didn't help much so saying upgrade may be the answer but sort of misses the point.

This is why I wait for the second version. I have had 3GS and 4S.

PJ

20. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

Good for you ;)

Should have held on to my 3GS and not succumb to the 4. The 4 is to be honest the most rocky device Apple has ever released. Antennagate.... 'White iPhone' issues...
    I don't hate the iPhone 4. I loved it. It even survived a tumble down 2 floors of hard marble stairs at home- not even a single scratch and it was without a case!

21. terrywfoster macrumors regular

I am running iOS 6 on an iPhone 4 here and am having no real issues worth noting. I'm happy with the speed of the UI thus far.

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Its beta. It's for developers. There are lots of debug and logging routines running that wouldn't normally be.

23. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

That's assuring! Just wondering if you notice any marked improvements from iOS 5. Googled the problem and surprisingly there was not even coverage or any discussions on this issue particularly on the iPhone 4. Yes there was some, but it was all on iOS 4 which I mentioned was WORST.

I got an iPod touch 4th gen. The UI there is silky smooth on the same iOS 5 with the same set up but when I get back to my iPhone 4 its just ugh! Tried it with my relatives who owns the iPhone 4 and I noticed the same too. I told them about this and they said Yep they noticed it but thought it was normal! One or two of them with the 4th generation iPod touch like me noticed it though. Did those tests yesterday at a gathering. :eek:

I'm sure its not just me who knew about this, just that there is not even coverage on this. And the iPod touch only had 256mb while the iPhone 4 had 512mb of ram. The only difference between them is mainly the cellular radio which I don't even think would affect performance in any way. I tried to restore as a new phone and it doesn't work.

I guess some software optimizations is needed for iOS 6 for the iPhone 4, which from the looks of it seems that Apple has noticed the problem itself in iOS 6. ;)

----------

Logically the only solution is of course to upgrade. But the 4S as many tech sites has said is not a significant upgrade from the 4. So I'm holding out.

And there is also nothing exceptionally graphically demanding about iOS 4 5 6 for the iPhone 4. If the iPod touch 4th gen can run the same version with silky smooth fluidity it makes me wonder why the 4 can't. Same processor, same retina display with 4 times the pixels to drive etc. The only difference is the cellular radio. That's why its making me doubt if its really my iPhone 4 or is it just the software.

And I would support the its time to upgrade crew if I had tons of money in the bank. I have a good stable income as of now but I feel that its better to manage money wisely- I could have just broke my contract and jumped over to the 4S during october when it launched but i didn't. :)

Thanks for your feedback though ;)

24. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

really? i thought the 4 was amazing. especially when it came out.. the retina was/still is gorgeous. The camera at the time was great. the design is sleek too. Of course compare it to the phones now and its not great.

25. pk7 macrumors 6502

I thought I'd chime in just to share what I've seen. Back when the iPhone 4 was just being launched, it really caught on with practically all of my friends and family. So a LOT of people I know have an iPhone 4.

The 4 was silky smooth up to 4.2.1. Then came 4.3 and Apple did something with the UI that made practically every device that supported 4.3 slower, and extremely stuttery and laggy.

iOS 5 fixed the problem on most devices but the 4 definitely still stutters. If I look at the iPhone 4s of all the people I mentioned above, there is definitely stuttering and skipping when unlocking the phone, opening the multitasking tray, or opening and closing an app. Even the 3GS, while slower, is still silky smooth. I'm making a video showing the UI smoothness and speed between the devices so I'll share that when I can.

I think Intell hit the nail on the head with this one.

The 4S, meanwhile, is a world above and beyond the 3GS and 4. While many people agree that it's not worth an upgrade from the 4, the results are definitely noticeable. The 4S is as smooth as butter and extremely quick when doing everything, even if you're heavily multitasking on it. :D