iOS 6 on unlocked iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RLY, Sep 18, 2012.

1. RLY macrumors newbie

Hi I have an unlocked 4s running on T-mobile (it wasn't factory unlocked) Will I be able to complete a software update to iOS 6 without it returning to it's factory state of not being unlocked?

and one more question - will the update come out to unlocked phones not using AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its officially unlocked without a JB or gevey sim adapter then its forever unlocked.
    You can restore and update to any firmware and it will never lock to any carrier.
    And yes, its the same update for any iphone carrier model. You just plug it to itunes and update.

3. RLY thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you!! and how would I know how it's unlocked? I took it to a store where they do fixes and unlocking!

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you're using T-Mobile on it currently without a Turbo Sim, then it's IMEI unlocked. Same thing as what AT&T/Apple do.

But if you really want to check, enter your IMEI number http://s-url.ro/

5. RLY thread starter macrumors newbie

They told me they unlocked it by cutting my T-mobile SIM and putting in a frame - I'm not sure what it was called? and today my phone was off for about an hour or so and when I turned it back on, it said I needed to activate the phone again but wouldn't allow me to , so I went back to the place and they activated it but didn't know what the issue was. Why did that happen/ am I allowed to ever leave my phone off without it occurring again? lol :confused:

and also! can I update to iOS 6 right now or should I just not? (I don't want to go back ;/)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

By putting a frame you mean a sim adapter?
    Then it's not factory unlocked and if u update to ios 6 you will lose the unlock.
    You should purchase an imei unlock for it so it's forever unlocked.

7. ItsDriley4 macrumors newbie

So if i have gevey unlock i cant update my iphone 4s to ios 6? @applejuiced

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope.
    The update will block the gevey unlock and you will be stuck with a locked iPhone.

9. ItsDriley4 macrumors newbie

Do you know when it will have a way to preserve it? @applejuiced

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure but we might see a tool soon after the next jb for 6.1 is released.

11. bookwormsy macrumors 6502