iOS 6 previewed at the iPad event?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by psonice, Feb 29, 2012.

1. psonice macrumors 6502a

Think we'll see a preview of iOS 6 alongside the ipad3 launch?

2. rdas7 macrumors regular

rdas7

No, if anything it'll be iOS5.1 which has been in beta for a few months. Hopefully it'll go public.

3. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Unlikely. Will have to wait until wwdc this summer to see ios6.

4. psonice thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah yeah, it's wwdc where we usually see the preview, followed by release roughly in time for the next iPhone. I was thinking we saw something with the iPad 2 release last time.

iOS 5.1 release is pretty much a given, seeing as we've had it in beta form for ages now. Maybe we'll see a 5.5 release preview or something still, who knows?

5. DeathChill macrumors 68000

If we see a preview than we know that the iPhone is coming this summer. If we don't see one until WWDC then we know that the next iPhone won't be here until fall. Or they could pull a Mountain Lion and preview it for journalists first and surprise us again.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Has there been any word on whether or not the 5.1 beta has seen improved battery life? I used to get almost a full 2 days out of my iPhone 4 until iOS 5 came out.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

We will get 5.1 along with a couple of surprises that were not included in the beta releases.

8. erawsd macrumors 6502

Yeah, I wouldn't expect iOS6 until WWDC. Apple does always have a brand new apps to show off the features of the iPad. iPad 1 introduced iWork, iPad 2 gave us most of iLife.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Maybe we'll see Microsoft office for iPad introduced. Althought I highly doubt it since that would be in direct competition with iWork

10. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Well there's always been rumours of Apple bring some of their more Pro-Orientated apps to the iPad. Presuming the iPad has a Quad-Core processor, it could be possible for them to bring Aperture or Final Cut Pro to the iPad, especially with the Retina Display giving add definition. But i guess those are more niche apps, where as the iWork and the iLife apps we have on the iPad today are quite consumer orientated.

11. mattraehl macrumors 6502

It would be a real bummer if the skipped right over iPhoto and went straight to Aperture for the iPad. I really want to be able to manage my iPhoto library on my iPad and have it be in sync with iPhoto on my computer. However I think we're still a few years away from that.

12. iPad-Lover macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Likely not because they have found ipad files in ios 5.1, there are always possibilities of a sneak preview but, leave wwdc for the unveiling of ios 6.

13. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Not sure about iPhoto coming to iPad. There's already the photos.app for iPad, which has started to have some iPhoto features integrated into it, like with the editing features in iOS 5

However, i think if Apple want to bring iPhoto to the iPad they'll have to get rid of the stock Photos.app because i think it'd lead to confusion for the less tech savvy. Some might look at iPhoto on the app store for £ X.YZ and then get confused between that, and the photos.app and end up buying something they don't really need.

14. psonice thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I was way off on the iOS 6 preview thing, but here's a couple of other possibilities:

1. Wireless charging. Qualcomm just announced that they've got a major new partner for their wireless charging standard - one big enough to ensure their standard will become the default even though it's currently behind. They can't reveal who this mystery company is, but will be able to do so in the next couple of weeks. That has apple written all over it to me, but it could be something totally unrelated.

2. Apple TV with apps. This is potentially massive, and apple are rumoured to be updating appletv to version 3 next week. A5X + big TV - that makes it a decent and cheap games console among other things!

15. bgribin macrumors regular

Nope.

5.1 will be released and 5.2 will be shown.

16. maclook macrumors 65816

How long have we been stuck on 5.0.1. I'm not saying I want constant updates like Sony does, but I feel like this is longer than usual. People are thinking of iOS6 but we're still on 5.0.1.