iPhone iOS 6 Push Gmail Bug

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kayan, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Kayan macrumors 6502

I'm having problems (and I'm not the only one from what I can read online) with setting up my gmail account as a Microsoft Exchange account (to get push capabilities). I have the same software on my i4 and everything works flawlessly, it's definitely a bug on the iPhone 5. Does anyone know if there is a fix for this bug on Cydia?

I'm not sure if Apple is planning on fixing this bug in addition to the other Exchange bug that has already been announced that they will fix in the next update. The problem with having the next update fix this gmail/exchange bug is that if Apple also decides to fix the JB exploits, then I'll be screwed on a JB, which IMO is a serious problem for my future with the i5.

2. sch11 macrumors member

You can search to confirm, but I believe Google has discontinued support for Exchange. From what I read, if you have a Gmail account configured to use Exchange, it continues to work - it works for my account on an iPhone 5 with the latest version of iOS. But if you try to configure it from scratch, it doesn't work (the conditions in which this fails were unclear from what I read). :(

3. Kayan thread starter macrumors 6502

Mmm, I'm thinking that's not the problem since push Gmail through Exchange still works on my i4. I also have a similar set up as you (i5, iOS6.1). I have used push gmail for over a year now, so I don't know why it would all of a sudden stop working on only one of my devices (it still works on my iPad4 and my i4). Thats why I am thinking it's an iOS6 bug.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What he's saying is that google turned off exchange. If the device is already setup, it still works, but you can't add new devices.

5. sch11 macrumors member

Ah, that's too bad. So it sounds like Exchange doesn't stay enabled on a per account basis, just a per-configuration/device basis. I.e. if I try to set up my Gmail account on another iPhone, I won't be able to set it up as an Exchange account, even though I've it set up as an Exchange on an iPhone before.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

7. Kayan thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW: thanks for the solution guys. This is ridiculous! Exchange gmail was one of the best things about my iPhone. I can't stand Fetch email, so I don't know what I'll do, anyone have any suggestions?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. Kayan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'm truly disappointed in Google's drive to compete more aggressively in this way against other platforms (I'm assuming this is why they cut push email for all non-Android platforms) at the expense of a very convenient feature for many iOS users. I love using iOS's native mail much more than a 3rd party alternative. Seems like Microsoft users are especially screwed since I don't think there is a Gmail app for that platform? In any case, thanks again.

10. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Disappointed but the Gmail app seems to work very well, including push notifications.

11. Phrenic macrumors newbie

12. lanceuppercut47 macrumors regular

Is there a way to make that new mailbox app, the default like how browserchooser does for browsers?

13. Kayan thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think so, but what you can do to get the same effect is have Gmail setup on Mail as a non-Exchange account and set the Fetch schedule to manual and set the Default account to that Gmail one. Then use Gmail's app from the appstore to read/respond to emails, but whenever you will click on an email link outside of the email app, it will automatically use your Mail's default account (Gmail IMAP) to send the message. This is what I'm doing for now, even though I'm actually considering switching to outlook.com since they offer great Exchange support.