ios 6 safari clear cache

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by bobmane, Sep 27, 2012.

1. bobmane macrumors newbie

where is just the simple "clear cache" button like in earlier versions?

2. beegie macrumors regular

So a whole year later & nobody answered that question? (I'm looking at iph-5's vs new 5s, so was reading about ios6, & this No Empty Cache button & Disappearing Bookmarks seem to be 2 of the most common questions re ios6.)

Did Cache become the new "Data"?
    Or is Cache still hidden somewhere else?
    And why change such a longstanding word as Cache to Data, if that's what they did?
    Are they wanting to hang on to our Cache for some reason, by not providing a clear Empty Cache option? (Hogs memory. Clean is Lean!)

As for Disappearing Bookmarks in ios6, also a whole year & no permanent bug fix for that shows up in google results first page.
    --How could it be that Apple would not fix such a bug over a full year?
    --A tech article dated July 2013 said they were hoping the ios7 would fix it! Unbelievable. Did it?

3. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Settings> Safari> Advanced> Website Data> Remove All Website Data or Individually

If you're gonna Remove All Website Data, might as well just use

Settings> Safari> Clear Cookies and Data

4. beegie macrumors regular

Thank you, Ezekiel (E2ek1el ;) ! Glad to know "Cache" can be emptied, if even by another name.

Now re those "disappearing bookmarks" in ios6... anyone else?

5. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

NP at dude.

What's this disappearing book mark problem on iOS 6 you have? I've looked it up and it seems when this happens ppl would reboot, it appears again and then vanishes.

I haven't had this problem nor have I heard it until you mentioned it. Give this a try, I did this method in iOS 5 a couple of years ago and my bookmarks have been displayed correctly since the first day of iOS 5 Beta 1.

From a Windows Users

1) Del all your bookmarks from Safari, which should be synced with iCloud.

2) Sync with iTunes with your browser

3) Turn on iCloud on the iDevice that you just synced and merge with iCloud. You can also do this with iCloud Control Panel now.

Mac ver (assumption by same theory)

1) turn off iCloud on the iDevices and delete all bookmarks

2) same as above or turn off iCloud syncing from Safari on your Mac and keep the bookmarks

3) turn on iCloud and merge on all iDevice and the Mac

Basically in short, delete all bookmarks and turn off & delete iCloud bookmarks on all devices expect for one. The last device, turn it off and keep the bookmarks. Turn it back on and merge it to your iCloud account, finally turn on all devices and let them all merge and sync the bookmarks.

The reason why the bookmarks are disappearing, it syncing from one source which is iCloud and some devices on your account has a bookmark that hasn't synced proper and its removing during the sync. Same as if you deleted a contact and didn't have web access, once you get access again it syncs corresponding to what your command was before when you're offline.

6. beegie macrumors regular

Thank you again E, for the detailed "iOS.6 Disappearing Bookmarks" fix/directions. A keeper, & hopefully others will find this thread if they have that problem.

While researching OTHER things yesterday re ios6 is when I learned of the bookmarks (still trying to decide between iph5-ios6, iph5s-ios7, or maybe Android), so that's why I wanted to know if ios6 bookmarks was getting a permanent fix as this July 2013 Macworld article hoped for via ios7:
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipad-iphone/news/?newsid=3455848

I had also read most all results/comments from page-1 google results & people were saying the fixes were temporary as the bookmarks would continue to disappear using ios6:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=ios6+bookmarks+disappear

But maybe they were not doing every step as thoroughly as you describe. I just did not want to go buy an iph5 w/ios6 & end up w/a permanent bookmarks hassle since I have a ton of bookmarks on my trusty old 3Gs workhorse. :) Thanks again!