Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahrovski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
I am surprised that no one did talk about the huge SMS problem in iOS 6 !!!

Messages are disappearing.. Particularly the messages that came from companies, banks, carriers.. (these messages are identified by a name and not a number.. And are not ususally in your contacts list..)

I can see the text in the preview, but as soon as I open the message/thread all content is gone, and the empty thread moves to the bottom of the list.

Remember it's only related to SMS that came from companies (Banks, Carriers..) and that the affected messages are the ones that were received prior to the update. To top this out, if you receive the next message from the sender related to the actual disappearing messages, your previously received messages won't show up again, never.

I lost important data without prior notice!! Bank statements, online payment receipts, carriers bills..

I already checked a couple of phones and they all share the same bug.

I think this is related to the security bug that was discovered earlier (SMS Spoofing) and that apple fixed in iOS 6..

The only info that I can find is a small conversation on apple's discussion forum

(link) https://discussions.apple.com/message/19665054?tstart=0#19665054?tstart=0

This is a very serious problem that you should shed a light on!!

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I am surprised that no one did talk about the huge SMS problem in iOS 6 !!!
News flash, you are not the center of the universe.
Messages are disappearing.. Particularly the messages that came from companies, banks, carriers.. (these messages are identified by a name and not a number.. And are not ususally in your contacts list..)
Works fine for me and probably also the majority of other users.

I lost important data without prior notice!! Bank statements, online payment receipts, carriers bills..
You keep important stuff as text messages? Oh lord... o_O

The only info that I can find is a small conversation on apple's discussion forum

(link) https://discussions.apple.com/message/19665054?tstart=0#19665054?tstart=0
Again, one small thread is not 'huge'.

This is a very serious problem
I agree!
that you should shed a light on!!
No, we are not your personal servants. You have a serious attitude problem, and we would be much more inclined to help you, if you didn't act as the king of the world.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

Didn't your mother teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything? Some of us do keep important records in text messages, just as some people keep records in their email inbox or even printed out.

Apple advertises that their phone can receive text messages, and I have text messages saved on my cellphone from before the iPhone had text messaging. If messages are starting to disappear, that's a major show-stopping bug that never should have happened, just like if emails are randomly deleted, or papers are randomly shredded...

I don't understand how you can take such a high-horse attitude to losing data like that, and then have the balls to say OP shouldn't complain.

Bahrovski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
News flash, you are not the center of the universe.

I agree!

No, we are not your personal servants. You have a serious attitude problem, and we would be much more inclined to help you, if you didn't act as the king of the world.

Dude RELAX!! hahaha.. Go have a beer or something since you clearly do not belong here...

we would be much more inclined to help you, if you didn't act as the king of the world.

I see you have comprehension problem.. You should work on that my friend.. Can you please point to where I asked for help??

Well, First of all.. I am not asking for YOUR help or anyone's help.. I am here to report a bug in iOS 6 that apparently many are also complaining about. Trust me if there is anything that can be done to solve it, I would have already solved it myself. You see, I am not newbie when it comes to iOS and I am a long time jailbreak tweaks developer. But this is a BUG in the iOS 6 that can only be solved by Apple. This is just to report it and to share the experience and let others do the same.

The WIFI worked fine for me and probably for the majority of the users.. But still you can see a lot of talks about it... A bug does not necessarily affect all users.. (You don't seem to know much about software my friend..) Plus the issue that I am talking about is not easy to spot since new messages are received normally but the history and previous sms threads will be lost..

Again... Comprehension problems...

---------

Anyways.. I don't usually reply to these kind of posts.. I don't really see why you felt offended.. Maybe this is normal at your age or area or society or something...

Last edited:

Bahrovski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
This is getting really frustrating.. No response from apple.. And this is a very serious issue. I can extract my SMS from my backup and thus the data is not deleted.. But it seems that iOS 6 have problems porting these kind of SMS (auto generated (no-reply) company SMS). :mad:

This is vastly related to the SMS spoof exploit that they patched in iOS 6.

Check your phone for similar SMS (Carriers, Banks, Ads...) and despite the fact that you can see the preview from outside, when you click to open the thread it will be empty and then the thread is moved to the bottom of the list.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I replied before, but have since noticed that an sms from "FirstDirect" with no return number is fine, whereas an sms from "My02" is empty when opened, as is "O2Roaming", "NewRdDental" and "My3".

Once opened, the thread goes to the bottom of the message list and the header disappears, but if you open the SMS App again, it re-appears in it's correct position and shows the header again.

Same on a friend's iP4 running iOS6

Last edited by a moderator:

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sorry you guys are experiencing this issue. Is everyone experiencing the problem in Canada, just wondering as I get business texts just fine here in the US.

Perhaps it isn't getting much attention for that reason.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Have you tried force quitting the messages app and reopening it to see if the messages come back?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Have you tried force quitting the messages app and reopening it to see if the messages come back?

This is the correct method to get all hidden texts to show back up! The issue was in beta 2 gone in 3 but back in gm. I expect it'll be solves in iOS 6.01

theokcorral

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
SMS and iMessages vanishing

I too am having this issue...

SMS and iMessages keep disappearing from my threads. Sometimes the recipient gets them and I just can't see that I sent. Other times... they're just gone. Not delivered, nothing.

This is terribly frustrating.

bubble.tea

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Amazing that after all this time, and obviously the fact that not everyone is plagued by it...that I get unlucky enough to ALSO become one of the ones who've experience sms loss.

I went from a 4S to the i5, OS5 -> OS6.

Everything backed up fine, but lost everything in Msgs.

Any updates or solutions to this?

I've backedup from iTunes & from iCloud. No Fix. Everything else restored fine. So annoyed. I have my sms folder backed up on my computer thru iFunBox carefully stored, but I need it on my phone.

Help.

bmp

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2013
SMS Disappearing? What?

Lol, just messing around.
Anyhow, I know this thread is old, but I had the same issue, but I kno what happened.
I had a jailbroken iPhone, iOS 6.1.2, and installed Spybubble.
Apparently, the mobile substrate add-on that installs with it was causing this problem.

MAYBE, someone was spying on you?

Theres some info that isn't listed ANYWHERE on the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.